Cast your vote for Associated Students elections

exc-625f50081384231a2ae436d2
exc-625f50081384231a2ae436d2

Sonoma State’s Associated Student elections begin this week which means students are able to vote for the students of their choice that they believe will best represent our campus. This year’s elections will take place April 19 and 20 through a link sent to students’ SSU email. 

The university’s student government is in place to “serve students through awareness, advocacy and representation”, as stated on their website. 

Student’s voices are vital in enhancing the campus community and being a student representative can ensure that your peers’ voices are heard. Students are encouraged to run for positions or vote in the elections. The upcoming elections that students will be voting for this year are for the Corporate Board of Directors.  

Sonoma State’s Associated Student Governments Coordinator, Jesse Magana said, “In order to run for an elected position students must attend a mandatory candidate information session, submit an election code, and complete several other tasks.”

This week’s elections will feature five SSU students, ranging from first-year students to seniors. Yasmin Esquivel, Nataly Hernandez, Taylor Rozek, Salvador Ochoa and Celine Rubalcava are all candidates in this upcoming election. To vote, students will receive an email starting on Tuesday at 8 a.m., with a link that will forward them to the ballot where they can vote. 

“After students vote they can come out to Seawolf Plaza or Pearson Lawn to receive a free tote bag or stainless steel cup,” said Magana, hoping to encourage students to vote for the student of their choice.  

This year’s candidates have written bios to help Sonoma State’s student body get to know them better. 

Yasmin Esquivel is a proud first-generation Latina and a third-year Sociology Major. She is a member of Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority. When asked why she wants to run for a position, Esquivel said, “I am running for AS President because I want to create and be a support system as we all strive for a higher education.” 

Nataly Hernandez is running for Executive Vice President. She is a first-generation college student, majoring in Early Childhood Education and Spanish. She previously held the position of Senator for Diversity. Hernandez said that she hopes to “create fortifying connections between students, staff and faculty, embed resolutions of change and above all, serve as the representation of change and advocacy for the students.” 

Taylor Rozek is an incoming senior from Sacramento, California and is running for the position of Vice President of Finance. “My biggest goal as Vice President of Finance is to improve communication between students and the Associated Students body,” said Rozek. “I plan to always be available for in-person meetings, update students whenever I can and most importantly implement or alter current issues on campus.” 

Salvador Ochoa is a first-generation fourth-year college student and transferred to Sonoma State from Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) in Fall 2021. His declared major is Applied Mathematics. Ochoa is task-driven and very passionate about his work and is always open to working with others towards their goals. Previously he was the Inter-Club representative for the Engineering Club. 

Celine Rubalcava, a third-year Criminology and Criminal Justice major who came from a low-income single-parent household is running for Senator of Diversity and hopes to bring more inclusivity to the campus.

“Being a first-generation college student has been an unforgettable journey so far. Despite all the challenges, I have kept a positive attitude and a smile on my face, and I work diligently towards bringing people together,” said Rubalcava. 

Now that this year’s candidates have been announced, be on the lookout for an email from SSU that includes the voting ballot. More information on this week’s upcoming elections can be found on Sonoma State’s website, https://as.sonoma.edu.

COURTESY // @SonomaStateAS on Facebook

Justin Arenson, current Vice President of Finance, shares his favorite part of being on Associated Student Government.