Seawolves SPEAK!: “What are your thoughts about the retaliation and sexual harassment claims against President Sakaki and Patrick McCallum

exc-6268859e77cdc52222788df3
exc-6268859e77cdc52222788df3

On April 13, The Press Democrat and the Los Angeles Times released articles discussing the $600,000 settlement claim given to Lisa Vollendorf, Sonoma State’s former Provost and Executive Vice President. This settlement was in response to Vollendorf reporting several sexual harassment claims made against SSU President Judy Sakaki’s spouse, Patrick McCallum. The news came as a shock to the SSU student body and many have strong opinions on the entirety of the situation, however many conversations around this issue have been mainly dominated by staff and faculty. We reached out to Sonoma State students to hear their opinions and commentary on the situation.

“It just feels so hypocritical that Sonoma State is constantly pushing Title IX to the student body and then when it’s the President’s husband who commits these acts, the school tries to cover it. It angers me that this had to make national news and that the school didn’t deal with it correctly the moment it happened.” 

– Brayden Woodward, Junior, Communications Major

“I’m less so concerned with President Sakaki’s alleged reactions than I am critical of the misconduct of the Cal State chancellor’s office. I believe that Cal State mishandled the case and consequently compromised Vollendorf’s career at SSU. The misconduct of Cal State completely undermines my faith in the purpose of the Title IX committee. It appears as though these systems are set in place to defend the institution itself rather than protect the individuals that enrich it.” 

– Joscelyn Courtney, 5th year, French Major 

“I personally think that the president and her husband should not be affiliated with Sonoma State anymore. They have done so much damage and smeared their reputation at this point. I understand that you want to do right by someone that you believe might be telling the truth but at the end of the day you should be believing the victim, especially with things like sexual harassment cases.” 

– Kelsey Noble, Senior, Psychology Major

“He should no longer be able to be a volunteer and should be banned from the school. Actions have consequences and for his situation, clearly his actions don’t have consequences. By allowing him to stay, Sonoma state is showing the students that they don’t take sexual harassment seriously and don’t care. They side with the abuser rather than the victim and that is ridiculous.” 

– Maddie Jio, Senior, Communications Major