Spring Carnival takes over Person Lawn

exc-627b2783fad98e02472b4f48
exc-627b2783fad98e02472b4f48

Last friday, Associated Student Productions (ASP) hosted a Spring Carnival. The carnival was held on Person Lawn from 5-7:30 p.m. to celebrate the conclusion of the semester. With the weather a bit breezy at 63 degrees, that didn’t stop students from showing up for free entertainment as students from all years came out for the free games, music and shirts. 

As the sun was beginning to set, the DJ was just getting started to help set the tone of the event. After students showed their green wellness screen and signed a liability waiver, they were able to roam around the lawn and participate in whatever activity they wanted. There were games spread out all over the lawn including life size checkers, high striker, ping pong and more. There was also a bouncy house that students were able to jump in. The atmosphere of this event was reminiscent of what college life was like, prior to COVID-19. 

“It’s exciting to see that events like this can bring the campus together. I haven’t seen a ton of events like this one and it was really fun to get to go to one,” said third-year business major Surina Dhanota.

Playing the carnival games for fun wasn’t the only incentive to get students to participate as those who gained enough tickets were able to win prizes. The prizes included stickers and a chance to win a JBL speaker or a Nintendo Switch in a raffle.

To bring the authenticity of a carnival, there was also a free funnel cake stand where students got to pick the flavor of their choice. 

Angela Larsen, a third-year early childhood education major said, “ Supporting my roommate who helped organize the event was the main point of me coming out. I also didn’t go out to events like this often but now that we’re finally back on campus, I don’t want to take stuff like this for granted. Getting free funnel cake and being able to play games also played a big role in me coming out to this event.”

These events are what helps to bring the seawolf community together. The Spring Carnival was a success with hundreds of Seawolves in attendance at a very interactive event. Listening to a DJ play classic songs to dance along to, the sweet taste of funnel cakes and receiving a free shirt are just a few of the many perks from going to an event like this. From air hockey to bouncy houses, students were able to find an activity that they enjoyed.

Dhanota said, “I wish there were more events like this since it is a great way to get out on campus. I love our campus and how inclusive everyone and everything is. If there were more events like this I would definitely come to them more.”

STAR// Daniel Serrano

Students gather on Person Lawn to play carnival games and to jump in the bounce house.