Students return to campus in style with BIG NITE

COURTESY // @seawolfliving on Instagram

Students enjoying a ride on the Ferris wheel during BIG NITE on Aug.21.

Sonoma State University welcomed everyone back to campus with a celebration for new and returning students. Every year, the week before classes begin, SSU’s Student Involvement organizes an event known as BIG NITE where everyone gets together for one last day of fun before academics begin. This event gives new students a feel of college life by introducing them to the campus layout and providing opportunities to meet fellow students. 

Several clubs and organizations were attending the event, allowing the Seawolves to get an idea of what kind of activities are offered on campus. Some of the clubs present included; the Improv club, the Filipino American Association, and numerous Athletic clubs. All of Sonoma State’s Greek life were also tabling at BIG NITE in order to gain interest in their organizations. 

Since the decrease in COVID-19 cases, BIG NITE offers a chance to return to normalcy with a mask-free environment and face to face interactions. College students are so used to interactions via zoom that it was a nice change of pace to partake in a typical college experience.

Upcoming graduate, Jason Altamirano, said “The 2022 BIG NITE was so much more fun than last year’s event, there were more attractions and more people to meet and talk to face to face. It feels like things are slowly going back to how they used to be.”

The night also consisted of various rides, indoor arts, activities, free food, as well as other goodies to commemorate the night. The physical embodiment of Sonoma State’s school spirit Lobo, the SeaWolf, also made an appearance at BIG NITE.  He was seen walking throughout campus taking pictures with students and introducing himself to everyone at the event.

This year, Sonoma State’s Student Involvement has been in the process of curating an environment that resembles campus life before the pandemic. Mo Phillips, head of Student Involvement, said that she was really happy with the redevelopment of this event. She also added that even though there were fewer students attending than previous years, the overall turnout was still great. 

In an interview with the SSU STAR, Mo Phillips added her thoughts on the event, “I never imagined that BIG NITE would be so much fun and come so far as it has today.” Phillips is excited to see what the future holds as well, Student Involvement will continue to host these annual events and plan to make them bigger and better each time. The events don’t just end with BIG NITE.  Student Involvement and the rest of Sonoma State’s staff, plan and host weekly events that students are welcome to attend. 

This upcoming weekend there will be musical guests in Schroeder Hall on Friday, Sept.9, and on Saturday, Sept.10, for any Marvel fans, “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” will be shown on campus. Don’t worry if you missed BIG NITE, there will still be many events throughout the year to attend.