Alpha Xi Delta hosts annual Xi Man pageant

STAR // Nicole Awaad

Seven contestants compete in Alpha Xi Delta’s annual Xi Man competition.

Alpha Xi Delta presents Xi Man 2022! This yearly event consists of seven different boys, one from each fraternity on campus and two from sports teams who all compete in a pageant. Basketball and lacrosse volunteered to participate this year for their sports. This event took place on Saturday Oct.15 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The show has multiple categories that they compete in, one being a talent portion and then miss congeniality.

Some students in the audience were really passionate about their fraternity or sports team winning. It gets really competitive and it is definitely more exciting to have a loud and enthusiastic support group per contestant. Dominic Salerno who is a senior and business major shared why he showed up to Xi Man, “I came out to Xi Man to support one of my best friends Claudel Garcia who was a contestant for my fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi. He put in a lot of work in the last three to four weeks so I decided to come out with a lot of members from my fraternity to cheer him on and be as loud and supportive as I can. We ended up winning the whole competition and Claudel from Pi Kappa Phi is the new Xi man which is really exciting and he put on a really good show for the boys.”

Other students came out to support some of the girls who are in Alpha Xi Delta that had a role in the event. Senior Danielle Romero, business major with a concentration in marketing shared her experience, “I went to Xi Man because I wanted to support my friends that were emceeing and the philanthropy that Alpha Xi Delta represents which all proceeds went to. The organization is called Kindly Hearts which helps children who are experiencing foster care.” Two girls from the chapter were emcees and they added a humorous side to announcing the contestants. Along with the event all going towards Alpha Xi Delta’s philanthropy, the event was sponsored by BeReal. This is a newer app that is very popular these days and they offered to donate $6 to every person who signed up for BeReal at the event. 

Julian Bryant, junior and marketing major explained his experience at the Xi Man. “I came to Xi Man to support my friend Jaylen Wells who was a contestant and is on the basketball team. I also came to have a good time and experience some Sonoma State culture. I’m a transfer student and I really wanted to get more involved with campus life and Seawolf Living and all the events going on… I thought it was a good way to meet new people and to, you know, enjoy my time here. It was really fun and I hope to be the contestant for the basketball team next year.” Be sure to come out to Xi Man 2023 next year if you missed it!