M*A*T*H Colloquium talks portrayal of women in STEM

The M*A*T*H Colloquium presented: How Do Film, Television, and Other Media Influence Girls to Pursue STEM on Wed. Oct. 19 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. via Zoom. This event was open to Seawolves of all backgrounds. 

This workshop helped us understand what types of female STEM role models we see in television, film, and other forms of media today. As well as how they are represented, what types of roles they play, and which specific fields are represented. They explore what the current STEM media landscape looks like, what the plans are for the future, and how STEM and media professionals can work together to expand female STEM roles in media. 

Emily Klunis, a biology major at SSU explained that “The lack of female representation in the STEM field portrayed in television and the media shows women to not be capable of pursuing this as a career. This should further drive women to encourage themselves to prove the media wrong.” Klunis then went on to describe how men are more often portrayed as the dominant gender in the STEM field, “…in actuality women are equally involved in the field. Seeing women in the media that pursue STEM is very motivating for me to be a part of that change.”

In an interview with the STAR fourth year math major Rosie King, shared her experience working in STEM. “Seeing female representation throughout the media and recognizing the effect it had on me has further motivated me to pursue a career in STEM and provide that effect to others.” King strives to create a presence for women in STEM through social media platforms. “Although I don’t have a large presence in the media, it’s important for me to be that source of motivation for other women who may be intimidated by this male dominated field.”

Featured speaker and mechanical engineer, Kim Bishop, shared a personal story during the event, “My mom worked in I.T. and that was at a time when there were very, very few women working in I.T. When she was promoted at one point, she went in to lead a meeting, her first ever meeting in this new position. Then three of the men at the table turned their chairs around and refused to look at her while she talked.”

If you’re interested in furthering your knowledge in academics and career they are holding another event on Oct. 26 that is titled, M*A*T*H Colloquium Presents: “Uncertainty Quantification and Risk.” This event will consist of a general survey of uncertainty quantification and risk topics, with examples from nuclear waste, fire risk, and space launch systems.