2020 presidential race update: Nov. 5 – 1:00 A.M.

exc-5fa3bdc6f5588b4a9e3f24db
    exc-5fa3bdc6f5588b4a9e3f24db

biden v trump map

As of 1:10 a.m. EST, Democratic candidate Joe Biden is leading in both the popular and electoral vote. Biden has 50.4% of the nation with 72,071,454 votes, making him the most elected official in U.S. history. In the electoral vote, Biden is six votes away from gaining presidency, with 264 electoral votes, while Donald Trump only has 214. 

All eyes are on the key battleground states of Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. As the final ballots are being counted–slowly, but surely–controversy sparks.

Trump has threatened to sue Pennsylvania and Wisconsin over mail-in ballots. “You have to have numbers. You can’t have these things delayed for many days and maybe weeks. You can’t do that. The whole world is waiting,” said Trump on Tuesday night. He finds it unjust how slow the final ballots are being counted.

The most surprising victories in the past few days came from Biden in Michigan and Wisconsin. With these two states, Biden secured his “blue wall” needed in order to pull through with a win. Michigan and Wisconsin were especially important because Trump won both these states in 2016 by considerable majorities. 

The most highly watched state is Nevada. If Biden secures Nevada, it will win him the 2020 election. As of 2:15 a.m. EST, Nevada has 75% of votes counted, and Biden leads 49.3%, with 588, 252 votes. 

On the other coast, Georgia and North Carolina are also being closely watched. On election night, Trump had a large lead, but when mail-in ballots were thrown into the mix, Biden’s numbers climbed and he is now nearing Trump, worrying the Trump Administration and Republicans. 

With 98% of votes collected, Trump leads by .4% in the popular vote, with 2,430,156. Georgia offers 16 electoral votes, and if Trump wins, it will bring him into contention with 240 electoral votes. 

Final vote collection ranges by nearly 25% between the final four states. Nevada has counted 75% of the total votes, Pennsylvania has counted 89%, North Carolina has counted 94%, and finally, Georgia has counted 98% of the total votes collected. 

Votes are yet to be fully counted, and the nation and parties still remain anxious for the final results. Political analysts estimate that votes can be finalized as soon as Thursday or as late as next week. Biden still holds the lead in the electoral and popular vote, as of Nov. 5 at 3 a.m. EST.