Local businesses suffer from lack of SSU students on campus

exc-5fb423d317c9763a8124d219
    exc-5fb423d317c9763a8124d219

el rancho dude thumbs up

Small local businesses have taken a huge hit since the closure of Sonoma State University’s campus. What used to be a largely student-based community, is now left to survive without the financial income that students tend to bring to nearby businesses. Rohnert Park’s small businesses must now depend solely on permanent residents, many of whom don’t fit into the usual consumer demographic. 

With school being closed, local coffee shops and restaurants aren’t getting their usual lunch and dinner rush of SSU students. Most Seawolves have set up camp in their hometowns to finish out online schooling, and the few who reside in Rohnert Park are less frequently going out due to COVID-19 restrictions.

El Rancho Taqueria, owned by Javiar Barragan, is a Mexican food restaurant in University Square. It is typically very popular among students. 

“Initially, it was rough because COVID-19 hit right before spring break. It was tough because all the students were gone to start. Luckily, local families came back, and the students that returned helped us out. We were almost out of business during summer because neither SSU or Rancho Cotate was open. Luckily, now, with some SSU students back, we get a steady dinner rush like usual, but not like before,” said Gerardo Barragan, an employee at El Rancho.

Some establishments, however, aren’t having as hard of a time with the lack of students. Shige Sushi, a restaurant in Cotati, is mainly burdened by the town’s changes due to COVID-19.

“As a sushi restaurant that has a higher average price point than other local sushi restaurants, our customer base doesn’t rely too heavily on college students. We have, however, felt a big impact when it comes to alcohol sales. They have gone down substantially, due to us not being able to serve draft beers. The bars being closed impacts our business hours due to people being out not as late,” said employee Gina Salvato.

Many Sonoma State students flock to the cheaper, hole-in-the-wall food spots throughout Rohnert Park and Cotati, with the exception of a few splurge locations.

The decrease in consumerism isn’t the only thing affecting these businesses, though. Many of these independent locations employ students and have had a difficult time finding new hires since the pandemic hit. Cotati Coffee Company in downtown Cotati has struggled with finding new employees, as well as maintaining revenue. 

“We pretty much only hire students. Mostly some Sonoma State students and occasionally JC students, and our business has definitely been impacted since the schools have gone online and a lot of students didn’t return to Sonoma County this year. We’ve seen a drop in sales,” said Isbell Adamson, an employee at the coffee shop. 

Food establishments aren’t the only businesses feeling the effects of the student-less town. Various boutiques and beauty spots are located around the school, including a nail salon called Nail Poetry. 

“We have seen a huge drop in business because of the students being gone. Especially during recruitment time when all the girls come in for their nails. It was a big loss for us,” said an employee at Nail Poetry.

The small, locally owned businesses of Rohnert Park struggle significantly more than any chains or largely known establishments as it is, and now with COVID-19 restrictions, it’s more difficult to stay afloat than ever. The pandemic alone creates great obstacles for independent business owners, but being in a college town with no student population only increases those obstacles. The establishments that are popular among students, such as El Rancho, Cotati Coffee, and Nail Poetry, have been impacted immensely.

As businesses anxiously await the return of Rohnert Park’s student population, all other residents are graciously welcomed. Without the independent businesses in the area, Rohnert Park would lack its feel of unique community and charm. 

Rohnert Park’s small businesses show great appreciation for the student population, which only goes to show how vital students are to local businesses.