Stevenson Hall renovations being delayed to Spring 2023

51056275816_bd516b389c_o.jpg

A mass email was sent out to students and staff to inform them that the ongoing Stevenson Hall renovations projects are being delayed. The email was sent from head of planning for Sonoma State, Christopher Dino, to inform the University population that complications in scheduling led to the delay for Stevenson Hall, which was expected to be done by fall 2022. 

Stevenson Hall is a three-story 140,000 square building that houses the offices for the Business, Economics, Education, select Extended & International offices, and Social science departments.The original renovation plans were slated for completion by Fall of 2022.

Stevenson Hall has been a landmark for SSU since the start of the University in the 1960’s, it was built in 1967 and still stands today in the year 2021.

The new due date for the completion of the renovations is now set for spring 2023. Officials now claim that they will be able to welcome back staff and students to the building at the start of that semester. 

This fact raised the question for some: Why is the project being delayed despite the campus being empty since march? 

“You would think they have a good head start on the project during this time.” Anthony Felicano, a Sonoma State alumnus said when asked about the renovations projects.  

Recent wildfires and the pandemic in Sonoma County these past years are also to blame for the delay, and the overall complexity in the plans which was underestimated also contributed to the delay of the renovations.  

“We will continue to work closely with all the associated agencies to respond to any plan check review comments, to move the project forward as quickly as possible,” said Dino when asked about the delay in the project.

Katelyn Dodge, in an article written for the STAR about the first phase of Stevenson renovations, said the goal of this project is to offer students and staff of Sonoma State an ideal educational building with the added perk of being environment freindly. Something that is key for Sonoma State and California State schools across the state to keep a small carbon footprint. 

The deteriorating building that was originally built in 1967, had been long due for an update when lawsuits of asbestos were filed in 2017. The new Stevenson will also be creating more space for classrooms in hopes of boosting enrollment. 

“While we are disappointed about the delay, we are appreciative of the many years of collaborative partnership we have shared with the OSFM. We are also grateful for the support we have received from the Chancellor’s Capital Planning Design and Construction Office staff in working through the delays and advocating for our campus project,”said Dino.

While many were hoping for the return of the new Stevenson hall in August 2022, that excitement will have to wait until the spring semester of 2023.