Rohnert Park city council passes new resolution to combat climate change

51067489246_9c5eff4bdf_o.jpg

In response to concerns about climate change, specifically wildfire season in the Sonoma County area, the Rohnert Park City Council passed a resolution to combat catastrophe in an effort that runs parallel to California’s initiative to become more environmentally conscious. 

With wildfires regularly ravaging areas of Sonoma County for the last few years between the months of September and November, the city has taken precautions seriously and has adhered to not allowing fireworks within the vicinity of the Rohnert Park area, in a bill passed on March 9. 

“We are not ignoring the climate crisis and we are taking action against local climate impacts,” said Councilman Willy Linares.

Sonoma County’s response to climate change has a deep effect on all citizens as wildfires burn down homes, businesses and neighborhoods every year. 

The bill states that building energy use and on-road transportation has been the leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions. This bill aims to lower the percentage of these two emitters by the year 2030.

The city of Rohnert Park and its council members unanimously passed the initiative to reduce carbon emissions by 2030. There has been a ban placed on purchasing, selling, and using fireworks use within the city limits in this agreement as well. 

While this may relieve the concern of fires in the area and quell the anxiety of veterans dealing with PTSD, for others, fireworks bring in crucial funding that nonprofits rely on. Rancho Cotati High School softball coach Tracy Goetz says she relies on money donated to the team through the sale of fireworks. The ban comes as a disappointment as other sources of funding available are not as profitable. When looking at possibilities for other revenue streams, she conveys she no longer has a solid source of funding to boost programs such as purchasing of equipment, maintenance of fields, and everyday items required for the softball program to run smoothly.

Sharing her thoughts on the matter, Goetz gave a reason as to why she is opposed to council members banning fireworks within the city parameters. 

“Team fireworks is 90% of our fundraisers. I’ve done a myriad of them. This has been by far the most lucrative fundraiser in the shortest amount of time, taking it away is a huge detriment to our program going forward,” she said.     

She also stated how cognizant she is of veterans suffering PTSD, and how climate change is a pressing issue, and how residents do not need extra causes of wildfire in the area. She said that in her opinion, fireworks aren’t causing fires—climate change is. 

Goetz provided her account saying the use of fireworks is not detrimental to the city’s efforts to boost their ‘go green initiatives’ but instead vitally important to organizations relying on sales of fireworks.  

“ My biggest concern about last night’s meeting is I was very upset. I feel like our city council members that voted for the ban aren’t looking at the big picture. Of course, we’re concerned about our wildlife fire none of that has never been linked to fireworks. We’ve been through the process of approving safe fireworks. [Trying to connect  things to it to serve a different purpose is what I feel like. The attitude is there is another way to fundraiser].”

Fireworks have been a topic of debate up for community members as of Thursday, March 16 when council members voted on their ban in Rohnert Park and Sonoma County. 

Although some have raised concerns about the ban in regards to funding local sports teams, the City Council is following through with this idea in efforts to put a halt to fires. Mayor Gerard Guidice who helped pass the climate bill says,” When we take an oath as a council member, we take an oath to protect the health and safety of the community.”