Sonoma State hosts series of repopulation forums for Fall 2021

49508279013_0f9cf8741e_o.jpg

As Sonoma State University’s plans to lead a full return to campus for the upcoming Fall semester become more tangible, the Continuity Planning Groups at Sonoma State University are hosting a series of forums for faculty and students to discuss repopulation. Associated Students is supporting the Continuity Planning Groups open forums in an effort to have open discussions between staff and students about returning to campus. 

The first forum of the month took place on April 1 from 5-6 p.m. on Zoom. The meeting began with quick introductions by the 15 panelists from all over the SSU campus. Erik Dickson, the Executive Director of Associated Students, served as a facilitator of the discussion by reading questions from students in the Zoom chat. 

Students’ questions drove the discussion and covered a lot of uncertainties about on-campus housing. Associate Director of Residential Leadership and Development, Stacey Murray, was the main person answering questions regarding housing. 

When asked about dorm visitation rules, Murray said that while housing officials are discussing the logistics of visitation in campus residential communities, they are not sure if guests will be allowed from off-campus. They are currently working out how things will look with visits between residential communities. 

When asked if students living on campus will be required to get a Coronavirus vaccine, Murray said that students are encouraged to get vaccinated but not required. Missy Brunetta, the director for emergency services and associate risk manager, added that students living on campus that choose not to get vaccinated may be tested for COVID-19 periodically. 

Another hot topic in the meeting was free parking permits for students. Murray explained that parking passes will now be included in the housing cost for students living on campus. The housing department is covering the cost of parking permits; it will not be an additional cost. 

Brunetta mentioned that the University is hoping to have all facilities open to a degree and will be releasing a list of what will be open soon. The Interim Associate Vice President for Academic Programs, Stacey Bosick, stated masks will be required on campus at all times and will be supplied in several locations. 

Students raised concerns about getting into classes they need in fall, as COVID-19 restrictions will be reducing in-person class sizes. Karen Moranski, the University’s interim provost, addressed these concerns, “We are trying to respond to waitlists and demand as quickly as possible. We have been able to earmark some of the Stimulus Funding to add some additional sections.” She also said that classes may be smaller and that classes with over 60 people will be online. 

As more Seawolves plan for their future return to campus, they wanted to know if vaccines will be available to them at the Student Health Center. The Interim Director of the Student Health Center, Tracey Eaton, explained that she is hopeful vaccines will become available on campus at some point, but for the time being, the Health Center can help students find vaccines elsewhere by phone. Eaton reminded students that COVID-19 tests are available for free at the Health Center and will continue to be offered in Fall. 

The Repopulation Open Forums For Students presented by the Continuity Planning Groups will continue on Wednesday, April 7 from 5-6 p.m. Students can find more information and the link to the meetings on the Seawolf Living website. The University will continue to update students with information regarding the Fall and Spring semesters by email as it becomes available.