“Spider-Man” kicked out of Marvel Cinematic Universe

exc-5d65e897e5cf2f000104336d
exc-5d65e897e5cf2f000104336d

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has announced that it will be parting ways with the largely successful “Spider-Man” film series. After months of negotiations, both companies in Sony and Disney could not agree on terms to retain Sony’s looming role in the partnership. Sony Pictures, wherein the licensing rights to the film series are attributed, recently announced on August 20 that it is officially parting ways with “Spider-Man.” The disagreement Sony and Disney underwent is surrounded by ongoing issues over money, with Sony having owned the “Spider-Man” movie for decades. 

In 2015, Kevin Feige, the producer and President of Marvel Studios, announced that he would not play a role in the next live-action “Spider-Man” movie, which recently starred Tom Holland. 

“Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film,” Sony Pictures explains in a tweet first displayed on August 20.

Fans have looked to social media outlets to express their feelings about the partnership’s discontinuation of the much beloved “Spider-Man.” Fans have also rallied on Twitter and started hashtags such as “#SaveSpidey,” which trended all throughout the following day, Wednesday August 21. 

Fans are hopeful for Disney and Sony to ultimately come to an agreement that allows for the film series to continue under the partnership once again. 

The news also comes right after Disney pushed for better terms with Sony Pictures; The recent disagreement arrives with unshocking fan-wide disappointment especially due to the unfoldings of the recent movie “Avengers: Endgame,” which ended some fellow beloved characters role in the Marvel Universe. Fans thereafter had hope for Marvel’s future in its most recent movie “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” 

The film, generating $1.1 Billion in revenue over the summer, has surpassed “Skyfall” as Sony Pictures highest-grossing film of all time, worldwide. 

Sony is vowing to carry on the Spider-Man franchise, however, but Marvel Studios will not be involved. 

Many feel as though Disney is the one to rightfully blame for all of the recent unfortunate developments in the partnership; Marvel Studios is saying that Kevin Feige may have too much on his plate with all the other newly acquired Marvel projects. 

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him — including all their newly added Marvel properties — do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own,” Sony Pictures says in a newly tweeted statement.

Sony carries on to recognize Kevin Feige with  some positive sentiments nevertheless, adding that, “Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

Both Sony and Disney have been talking about ways to make the “Spider-Man” movies happen with its current star, Tom Holland. Unfortunately, the talks have currently fallen through, as neither side is able to receive what they want in the negotiation process.

With ongoing urgency, Marvel Studios is looked at to figure out what it is going to do, as losing “Spider-Man” results in losing fans and millions of dollars: two variables the highest-grossing film franchise of all-time knows it cannot leave unfulfilled in the future.