CA experiences breakthrough cases of COVID-19 post vaccination

51154511000_61636465fc_o.jpg

Although COVID-19 cases have significantly decreased in California, data is showing instances of the public catching the coronavirus after receiving their full vaccination. According to the Department of  Public Health, there have been 1,379 cases of COVID-19 post-vaccination in California. Sonoma County reported 39 breakthrough cases in the month of April. 

Sonoma County’s Health Officer, Dr. Sundari Mase, commented on breakthrough cases saying, “While breakthrough cases are rare, they are not unexpected since we know that the vaccines are not 100 percent effective. We do know that the vaccines offer the best protection against COVID. In COVID positive individuals who have been vaccinated, symptoms, if any, are mild, and there have been no deaths due to the COVID of a vaccinated individual. It is still important for vaccinated people to maintain proper health protocols, including wearing a mask indoors in public.”

Although alarming to some, the vaccine doesn’t make a person fully immune from getting the virus, but instead is designed to reduce symptoms and death rates. These newly reported cases account for less than one percent of California’s total cases out of 3.74 million positive cases recorded since the pandemic started. 

Across the U.S. we have seen 5,800 cases of individuals infected with the virus after receiving the full vaccine. According to the Center for Disease Control, there have been 243 million people fully vaccinated in the U.S.. 

With vaccinations in place, and all ages allowed to get the vaccine, California has mostly entered into the orange tier with moderate virus eliminating restrictions but overall a much safer place than 6 months ago.

Major social impacts like the closing of schools, bars, restaurants, and any social-related gatherings had been implemented for over 6 months before individuals’ access to vaccines rapidly improved. While getting a vaccine is proven to reduce symptoms of COVID, it does not make anybody completely immune to getting it. 

Tracy Eaton, Interim Director at SSU’s Health Center, provided her insight on the matter saying, “No vaccine is 100% effective so these “breakthrough” cases are to be expected. The COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective though and there have only been about 1400 documented cases in California of vaccinated people testing positive for COVID-19. That’s less than 0.00005% of vaccinated Californians and 0.001% of total COVID cases. Even though infection after vaccination is unlikely, vaccinated individuals should still continue to follow all safety guidance including wearing masks.” 

While there has been a high success rate in receiving the vaccine, there is still a small chance of catching this virus. Health experts still urge others to wear masks as everyone is not fully vaccinated across California, and the public is still at a small risk of receiving an infection given the vaccination does not completely bar someone from this virus. Following all safety precautions is imperative to see a major reduction of COVID-19 variants and for all social gatherings and schools to resume back to normal.