Former university lecturer suspected of serial arson

exc-612ec360fc95562c100d796b
    exc-612ec360fc95562c100d796b

Former Sonoma State and Santa Clara University lecturer Gary Maynard, 47, was arrested on August 7 near the Conard Fire in a restricted area of Lassen National Forest. The Conard Fire is just one of the more than half a dozen fires Maynard is suspected of starting across Northern California. 

Arrested by Lassen County Sheriff’s deputies, Maynard is being charged for “willfully setting fire to land owned by or under the jurisdiction of the United States.”

Julia Gonzalez, Assistant Vice President for Strategic Communications at Sonoma State University, wrote of Maynard’s involvement with the University, “He was a part-time lecturer in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice. He was employed with Sonoma State University in Fall 2020, but did not have an appointment for Spring 2021. Dr. Gary Maynard was contracted to fill in for a faculty member who was on leave. He taught two seminars in Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies in Fall 2020.”

Authorities first became suspicious of Maynard on July 20 when his vehicle was found stuck on the side of the road 200 yards from where the Cascade Fire had started in Shasta-Trinity National Forest. Two smaller fires were later discovered on the road where Maynard and his vehicle had been and witnesses reported seeing him walk towards the location of the Cascade fire before it had starters. All three fires were suspected to be arson. 

The following day, July 21, tire tracks matching those on Maynard’s vehicle were found at the location of another arson fire, the Everitt Fire, also in Shasta-Trinity National Forest, which prompted authorities to take out a search warrant for Maynard’s phone and vehicle. 

A vehicle tracking warrant was issued by U.S. Magistrate Judge Dennis M. Cota, which allowed U.S. Forest Service Special Agent, Tyler Bolen, to place a tracking device on Maynard’s vehicle on August 3, granting agents the ability to track his movements over the next few days.  

On the day of his arrest, Maynard was tracked to the location of the Ranch Fire which, because of its proximity to the growing Dixie Fire, was restricted to the public. 

Agent Bolen wrote in his report, “As I neared Campsite 2, I observed a large column of grey and black smoke rising from the forest. I ran back to my vehicle and proceeded to notify the local USFS Fire Dispatch Center. I then returned to the fire, later named the Ranch Fire, and observed the wildfire burning along the forest floor, trees, and brush – an area one-half to one acre in size. I then observed the tire track impressions that had been left behind by the subject vehicle, which were located at the edge of this new wildland fire. According to the vehicle tracking data, these tire track impressions in the soil were in the same location that the subject vehicle had just been present for the previous 28 hours.” 

Just minutes after leaving the Ranch Fire, tracking data followed Maynard to another location where he stopped for 30 minutes. After reportedly leaving the location, law enforcement found another arson fire, the Conard Fire, near where his vehicle had been parked earlier. 

Maynard was initially pulled over by a California Highway Patrol officer for driving through a restricted area, he was then cited for possessing an open container of marijuana and brought in for questioning by US Forest Service agents. Maynard denied any involvement in the fires and relayed false information about his whereabouts over the last 24 hours, unaware that authorities had been tracking his movements.  

After being booked for “unauthorized entry into a closed emergency area” and facing a felony charge of arson, Lassen County Sheriff Deputy Steven Lawton reported that Maynard could be heard screaming, “I’m going to kill you, f****** pig! I told those f****rs I didn’t start any of those fires!” while kicking his cell door. 

Now considered a threat not only to the public but also the emergency personnel and firefighters combating the Dixie Fire, Maynard is currently being held at Sacramento County Jail without bail while he awaits his trial.