Rohnert Park police launch new crisis response team

COURTESY //  Dave Wasson on Facebook

The SAFE response team beams in front of their new vehicle, ready to help people in need.

The cities of Petaluma, Cotati and Rohnert Park have implemented a new mobile crisis response model, known as SAFE (Specialized Assistance for Everyone), in an effort to appropriately de-escalate situations and respond to calls that do not require armed law enforcement to be at the scene. 

Last April, the Rohnert Park City Council unanimously approved a contract with the Petaluma People Services Center (PPS) to expand the existing program to neighboring cities. The Petaluma People Services Center first launched SAFE services in Petaluma on July 5 and began operations in Cotati and Rohnert Park on Nov. 1. SAFE is modeled after the CAHOOTS (Crisis Assistance Helping Out on the Streets) program that was founded in Eugene, Ore. in 1989 and has seen a tremendous amount of success in their community since. 

Councilmember Willy Linares shared his thoughts about why the implementation of SAFE is significant to the community of Rohnert Park: “I was interested in reimagining policing in ways that reduce officers being called to incidents that can be handled by a crisis response team. The fact the PPS is a local provider of services is important. This program will not only provide a great service to our community, but it will also create new jobs locally”.  

The SAFE team will operate seven days a week and 18 hours each day; however, these hours are subject to change as the program continues to grow. Each shift is staffed by a mental health worker and an EMT who are trained in handling crisis situations. 

“With the clients that we’ve been serving, we’ve reduced the frequency of ER visits as well as the duration of the visits, we’ve reduced the frequency of arrests for some people who are frequent police contacts and we’ve also helped to repair relationships between clients and existing service providers.” said Manning Walker, SAFE’s program manager. 

These trained professionals may be dispatched, through 911 or the police nonemergency line, to calls including but not limited to disorderly conduct, reports of suspicious activity, family disturbances, reports of suspected suicide or mental distress, drug and alchol abuse. Any person who reports a crime, violence, or a life-threatening emergency may receive a response from the police or other first responders instead of or in addition to the SAFE team.

The SAFE team additionally works with existing homeless outreach teams to help get clients back into treatment and shelter as well as working with clients that have dementia and providing emotional support for families that are in the process of transitioning their loved ones into in-home care or memory care facilities. 

The Sonoma State Police Department expressed their interest in joining the SAFE program and are currently undergoing evaluations on what their involvement would be and what next steps would need to be taken. 

SSU’s Chief of Police, Nader Oweis said, “From a safety perspective, I think people are afraid to call so sometimes they’ll delay in calling and by then the situation may get worse. We’re trying to provide these resources, whether it’s SAFE, the Mobile Support Team or one of the resources on campus, because we want to keep people safe.”

Annual costs are expected to be $1.1 million a year, which includes the contract with PPS and the cost of a van to support the mobile program. Based on the cost share agreement between the city of Rohnert Park (84 percent) and the city of Cotati (16 percent), the estimated cost to Rohnert Park is $850,820 annually. 

To make a report or to receive the SAFE team’s services, call 911 and an emergency dispatcher will answer and determine if the situation requires the SAFE team and/or first responders. Another option is to call 707-781-1234 where one can choose to speak with a 911 operator or a non-emergency staff member.