SSU joins CSUCCESS program lending tech to incoming students

COURTESY //   @thecsu on Instagram

The CSUCCESS program gives first-year and transfer students at participating universities new technology, such as iPad Airs like this one, in order to kickstart their success.

For many students, online learning has enhanced flexibility and convenience, but for some, this mode of learning has caused them to struggle with accessing quality devices and reliable internet. 

In an effort to amplify student achievement and create more equitable opportunities, the California State University (CSU) system launched a program called CSUCCESS (California State University Connectivity Contributing to Equity and Student Success), a groundbreaking technology distribution program. CSUCCESS will mark one of the largest programs of its kind, with the potential to serve up to 35,000 students. 

“While celebrating successes, we remain focused on eliminating equity gaps, and we won’t rest until all students have the equal opportunity to earn the security, prosperity and purpose that come with a CSU degree,” stated Joseph I. Castro, chancellor of the California State University. 

During the pandemic, the CSU worked to mitigate this equity gap by investing over $18 million to purchase over 21,000 laptops and tablets and 10,000 mobile Wi-Fi hotspots for students. The CSU also gave out several millions of dollars’ worth of existing equipment to students who needed them.

The program first launched in Fall of 2021 at eight CSU campuses. Phase Two of CSUCCESS will launch Spring 2022, adding six additional campuses to the program, including Sonoma State. The program is focusing it’s services on new incoming first-year and transfer students who may need extra support as they begin their college career in the digital age.

First-year and transfer students entering participating CSU campuses during the Spring 2022 term will receive a technology bundle that includes a new 64 GB iPad Air, Apple Pencil, Apple Smart Keyboard Folio and technology support from their campus. Students can also receive a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot (unlimited data plan) upon request. 

Students will be provided with this bundle for the entirety of their undergraduate experience at SSU and will need to return all of the equipment upon graduation. Devices are provided on a loaned basis to ensure that students’ financial aid will not be impacted.

There are no income-based eligibility requirements and students are able to self-identify their need by registering for the program. Registration will begin in Spring 2022 on the CSUCCESS website with distribution projected to begin around January 23. Distribution will vary by campus and Sonoma State has a goal of students having their devices by the end of the Spring 2022 term.

CSUCCESS is the largest device distribution program and reported that during Phase One of the launch, more than 22,700 students received devices. 

“Sonoma State is proud to be part of this program in support of our students. These devices will help undergraduates make progress towards graduation and offer new opportunities for teaching and learning in the classroom,” stated University Provost Karen Moranski. 

Seawolves who do not fall under eligibility and need computer access are able to borrow a laptop through the library’s Laptop Loan program. The Laptop Loan program serves as an alternative to CSUCCESS, ensuring that all students have the tools they need to succeed. 

This program is an important component in the CSU’s efforts to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and meet the goals of the Graduation Initiative 2025. Graduation Initiative 2025 was introduced by the CSU in September of 2016, with the purpose of facilitating students’ path to a high-quality college degree while also committing to bridging equity gaps between historically underserved students and their peers. 

Five years into this initiative, SSU is making good progress toward most of its goals; however, the challenges posed by the pandemic have heightened the need for greater support for students and equal opportunities for timely degree completion.

The CSU is actively seeking resources to fund additional phases to expand the initiative to reach current students and more campuses. To learn more about CSUCCESS, head to http://it.sonoma.edu/projects/csuccess.