‘It’s a Guy Thing’: ‘topics we need to talk about’

exc-5d817ec690e8e0642e8b6d00
exc-5d817ec690e8e0642e8b6d00

An honest meeting on masculinity that ditches pursuit of feminism or orientation: “It’s a Guy Thing,” held on Thursday, Sept. 12 at the University Student Center’s “The Hub,” opens a dialogue on men’s roles in modern society–establishing a judgement-free zone for students to reflect upon themselves with others. 

The topic discussed at the genesis of the meeting, the ever-evolving concept of masculinity, allows students to define it on a basic level as qualities or attributes regarded as characteristics of men. Yet, the event’s group setting allows for students to expand such basic understanding of masculinity in listening to others’ definitions based on their own unique, individual experiences. 

“(The meeting) gives you an understanding of the various perceptions of masculinity out there; it also gives you a better understanding if you simply did not know much about masculinity before. Taking Women’s and Gender Studies class has helped me get a well rounded understanding of what masculinity is and what it means to be a man, too,” says Sonoma State student, Derek, one leader of the “It’s a Guy Thing” meeting.

itsaguything1.jpg

Among additional concepts of interest for students attending the event surrounds questioning as to why the word masculinity cannot be used for women; “why is it only used for men,” the group raises. As discussion finds participants in varying states of agreement, Jordan, another group leader assisting the meeting, reminds participants that division on topics is still equaled by the mutual passion and overarching goal of “It’s a Guy Thing:” a space “for all genders to talk about men and masculinity and how we each experience it; a way to build a community through the experiences,” she says. 

While the meeting’s ensuing activities showcased more questions on the whiteboard worthy of discussion, a greater focus is brought towards the underlying importance behind individual perceptions of masculinity. Questions like “what does masculinity mean to you?” and “who were your role models of masculinity?” as well as “how does your understanding of masculinity change over time?” pervaded throughout “The Hub,” as everyone feeds conversation with different facets about these questions that ignite particular overlapping concern. 

When confronted with the question of what there is to be gained from “It’s a Guy Thing,” Jordan says, “A greater overall sense of awareness on gender and how gender shows up in our lives and experiences; a space where you can gain some insight on masculinity and the expression of it; one where we can ask questions about gender and discuss healthy and unhealthy forms of masculinity.”

While anyone is invited to attend “The Hub’s” “It’s a Guy Thing” event, male or female, students participating in the event’s dialogue receive free pizza and drinks in return. The meeting proves to be very informative on the topic of masculinity. Every meeting spotlights different topics about men that have gathered controversy in the past and presents how we can try to change it while simultaneously informing students on the matter.