SSU welcomes new faculty amid leadership changes

Sonoma State University has announced three new facility changes, in addition to the reopening of the campus amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Classes have reopened on campus and that brings many new beginnings, including the welcoming of the incoming Title IX Officer, Julie Vivas, VP of Administration, Monir Ahmed, and the new Interim Vice President of Student Affairs, Michael D. Young, who all have high hopes for their upcoming roles at Sonoma State.

SSU was proud to announce Monir Ahmed as the new Vice President of Administration and Finance on Jan. 3, 2022. Ahmed is a Cal State Northridge and Woodbury University Alum, where he holds a bachelor’s degree in business and an MBA from Northridge. 

Prior to his role at SSU, Ahmed held many similar roles on other campuses and served as a founding team member of the UC Merced campus in 2005. Ahmed has been a long-time leader and advocate for students, and has been a wonderful addition to Sonoma State.

Julie Vivas, who has been welcomed to Sonoma State as the new Title IX Officer, will begin her tenure on Feb. 22, 2022. 

Vivas holds multiple certifications from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Colorado State University, and San Diego State. With her certified training in multiple areas like sexual assault, victim’s assistance, and student judicial conduct, her addition to the Sonoma State facility will be highly valued.

Young previously served as the Student Affairs Vice President during the 2016-2017 school year and the university was pleased to welcome him back to campus. 

Young began his role again on Jan. 3, 2022, and is filling the position following the retirement of Dr. Greg Sawyer as the school prepares to conduct a search for this vital leadership position. 

Prior to his time at Sonoma State, Dr. Young served as Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs at UC Santa Barbara.

Sonoma State University is pleased to welcome these three talented individuals to the community as they begin their important leadership roles.

To read more about their new beginnings the campus updates page located on the Sonoma State University website highlights their successes and the wonderful assets they will bring to the campus community.

COURTESY// SSU Student Affairs

Dr. Michael D. Young, VP for Student Affairs

COURTESY//afd.sonoma.edu

Monir Ahmed, VP of Admin and Finance/CFO