Associated Students prepare Seawolves for upcoming election

Sonoma State University’s Associated Students (AS) is holding elections for the new 2022 Senate Executive Board of Directors. 

As described on the university’s website, Associated Students, is a “student-run auxiliary providing programs and services to enhance the lives of students”, while  the senate, “serves as the ultimate management authority of the corporation and are elected from amongst and by the members (all regularly enrolled students of the university) of the organization.” 

AS creates opportunities for SSU students to engage in the community around them through community service, co-curricular events and activities, childhood education/ development labs, as well as student government. 

The SSU website states that AS also “provides funding resources to chartered student clubs and organizations, club accounting services, short-term loans and transitional housing for students.” 

Fliers were scattered around campus to catch the attention of students wanting to make a difference around campus, encouraging them to consider joining student government.. These fliers  described what positions remain open as well as some information about what steps to take next if interested. 

President, Executive Vice-President, Vice-President of Finance, Senator for Diversity, Senator of Government Affairs, and Senator of Student Services are all positions students are able to apply for. The flyer also includes a QR code students can scan with their mobile device camera to learn more about the election. 

AS Student Government Coordinator, Jesse Magaña, J , gave an explanation of the election process and the steps students should take, “Students who are interested in running for an elected role should start with attending an informational meeting. After attending that meeting and learning more about what roles are available they should meet with one of the advisors from the office.” 

Magaña also suggested checking out the SSU Associated Students Inc, Engage page. “They must then refer to the packet they are given which lists some of the requirements necessary to become an official candidate,” said Magaña.

In light of the pandemic and keeping the SSU community safe, AS is holding informational meetings over zoom but is looking forward to in person events in the future. 

AS members are doing a great job of keeping positivity and motivation in their work. Magaña acknowledges how the pandemic has affected the way elections go but stated, “We are still very much living in a pandemic where students are facing multiple symptoms of COVID-19. So, on our end, we are ramping up efforts to increase voter turnout and are really trying to meet students where they’re at.” 

Magaña’s statement showed the importance AS sees in contributing to the community around them, by finding ways to keep up the efforts despite obstacles like the pandemic. 

Participating in student government is a way for students to engage in leadership opportunities and make sure not only their voice is heard, but also every student on campus. Any student who enjoys the importance of making decisions which may impact the way SSU students are supported on campus can look into the elections by applying for the board. If a leadership role feels like too much it is encouraged for students to vote on a board that they feel will benefit themselves and fellow students around them.

The application deadline to apply for any of the AS Student Government Executive Board of Directors positions is Feb 25 at 11:59pm. If any student is interested but hasn’t attended an informational meeting, there is one scheduled for Feb 23 from 12:00pm – 12:30pm. The zoom link can be found on the SSU AS Student Government elections page. 

Information and updates can also be found on the AS instagram page @as_sonoma. 

For any questions please contact Student Government Coordinator Jesse Magaña at [email protected]

COURTESY//SSU Associated Students

AS encourages students to join SSU’s student body.