‘Pops on the Lawn’ puts spotlight on Wind Ensemble, Concert band

exc-5d817f9883f21633e95208ce
exc-5d817f9883f21633e95208ce

Normally confined to the inside of the Sonoma State University music hall, the Wind Ensemble and Concert band rocked the lawn center last Friday, Sept. 13 for students to enjoy campuswide.

For the first time ever, Sonoma State University’s two bands received the opportunity to play outside where anyone on campus is able to listen and enjoy. Groups of students spread themselves out on the lawn in front of the wine center, quietly listening and loudly applauding for over an hour. Although the event’s duration did not extend for too long, many students waiting between classes, or just getting out from class–some even coming from the dorms–all came out to listen.

With just a portion of the playlist showcasing a wide variety of iconic hits from Grease, Indiana Jones, The Beach Boys and Rolling Stones, what isn’t there to enjoy? The first half of the event was strictly played by the Wind Ensemble, as it was ultimately paired with the concert band for the second half. 

WINDENSEMBLE3.jpg

Patiently waiting in the shade, concert band member Amit Deb happily shares his appreciation of both the event and the University’s music program. As a new freshman, Deb’s first time being able to perform outside with his classmates would be for the outdoor concert. Fittingly excited to play, Deb is appreciative towards the music program for being so welcoming and supportive towards its students. 

While a part of campus life for only a month’s time, the program’s Admin says, “the program is welcoming and friendly to everyone. If you have some experience with music, you can come and join the concert band, play fun classic songs and easily make friends.” 

Sonoma State’s concert band is open to anyone who is interested, regardless of major. 

In being a part of the concert band for six semesters, Olivia Olson is both a senior and a psychology major. While Olson has played for quite some time, performing for the school on multiple occasions, this was her first one of the new semester. 

“It’s pretty cool, being able to host (the concert) in public; it opens up opportunity for people to come and see it in an open environment. Concert band doesn’t normally have many opportunities like this,” Olson says.

Surely, the outdoor concert brings a different level of appreciation to the University’s band when it gains opportunity to display members’ practices outside of the classroom and just play for friends and classmates’ enjoyment all in the same place. Importantly, continuing campus community-like events, like the outdoor concert, helps to empower a greater physical liveliness to the campus overall. Even students pulled onto campus for a Friday class were happily greeted by the band, as they too stuck around and enjoyed. 

The Dean of the Arts and Humanities Department, Dr. Hollis Robbins, also stopped by to enjoy the event for a while. Robbins says, “when Andy Collinsworth first brought me the idea for performing for students outside, I said, ‘absolutely, yes! How can I help?’” With a deep appreciation for the music program, Dr. Robbin’s department is the one responsible for finding and funding bands to play at public events. “Let’s see how this event works and what kind of campus support we get, but I think this was a success” says Dr. Robbins. As it is especially an easy, cost effective and fantastically fun event for students to come out and enjoy, “Pops on the Lawn” is great for the campus community as it is for the bands’ members themselves– hopefully we can look forward to more events of the like. 

After the show, the Conductor of the bands, Dr. Andy Collinsworth, joyfully discusses his thoughts on, and involvement in, the event’s happenings. In being the director of the bands and the one to come forward with the idea to play for the students, Dr. Collinsworth says, “this was our first time doing this, so we’ll take a look at doing it again next Spring, but I was really excited that we had the opportunity to play here.”

Although the Friday, Sept. 13 event may have been the last for the semester, members and students alike are hopeful that the campus support by which the concert aims to receive will catalyze more event scheduling for the future. For those who missed the performance but still want to listen to either of the bands, multiple events are still coming soon. A live performance from the Wind Ensemble group, playing 1935’s original “Frankenstein,” is scheduled for Oct. 30 and 31. Additional live performances are to be announced for Oct. 12 and Dec. 10, with a plethora of events to look forward to thereafter.