SSU celebrates the lives of two community members that died in the month of February

Sonoma State has recently lost two beloved members of the Sonoma State Community, former Arts and Humanities Professor and Hutchins Advisory Board Member Anthony “Tony” Mountain and Freshman Aysia Dural. These two members were loved and will be remembered by students and faculty alike for their bright demeanors and passion for love and life.

Mountain passed away unexpectedly at the age of 85 in his home in Sebastopol on the evening of Wednesday, Feb. 23. 

According to an email sent out by the A&H dean Hollis Robbins to the A&H staff, “Tony was one of a kind and his dedication and passion will truly be missed.” 

Mountain started his career by getting his Bachelor of Arts degree at Columbia University in 1961, as well as his Master of Arts degree at the University of Washington in 1970. After receiving his degrees he started his illustrious career at Sonoma State University in 1969 where he worked for 41 years in the Hutchins School of Liberal Arts. 

Mountain was said to be a joy and light to work with according to students and staff and he truly believed the Hutchins program was an “extraordinary education not only for its students but, in its highly interdisciplinary way, for its faculty as well. We were students and teachers together – an utterly unique program and I miss it.” 

Mountain will be sorely missed by both students and faculty alike, per his wishes, instead of a funeral or service by his family, he would like for people to donate to a charity of their choice in his name if at all possible. People can also send letters of condolences to Hutchins office c/o Cheryl Maynard. 

The SSU community also mourns Ayisa Dural, a freshman in the university’s nursing program who passed away the same week as Mountain.

Ayisa Dural was a vibrant and beloved young woman in the prelicensure nursing program. Dural was, according to an email sent out to the community, “a young woman full of promise and potential.” She was beloved by friends, family, and anyone who interacted with her throughout her time at Sonoma State. 

An obituary in the Press Democrat for Dural said, “You were God’s gift to your family and a committed friend to all that knew you. Our hearts are broken, but the blessing of your memory will sustain us until we meet again.” 

A Celebration of Life was held for Dural on campus at the Student Center on March 12, where everyone was welcome to pay their respects. 

Another way community members can help the Duval’s is by sending or participating in a meal train for the family. 

The Meal Train is “trying to respect privacy and mourning…drop off food at the door and ring the doorbell. Try to give food in disposable items that can be tossed afterwards. It’s ok to include a note of condolences for the loved ones.” 

Alicia Prime, the organizer of the Meal Train page said, “Aysia was an amazing soul, funny,  kind, intelligent, wise beyond her years, beautiful- inside and out, persistent, tenacious, and caring to name a few of her many traits. One thing for certain, she was loved, and she knew it! First and foremost, we ask that you please keep their family in prayer. Prayer is powerful and necessary right now.” Any food, prayers, or letters of condolences are welcomed for the Duval family.

The passing of faculty or students can be hard to understand for many and Sonoma State wants people to know that Counseling support is available for everyone to attend and process the loss of life that has occurred recently. 

CAPS services are available to reach via phone at (707)-664-2153 and can be visited in building 17A, the portable building behind Salazar Hall. Faculty members are encouraged, if needed, to reach out to the SSU Employee Assistance Program for counseling help if needed. 

COURTESY// legacy.com

Aysia Dural was a freshman in the prelicensure nursing program.

COURTESY// hutchins.sonoma.edu

Former Hutchins professor, Tony Mountain, passed away at the age of 85.