Give back to the community through upcoming events

On Thursday, April 7, Sonoma State University will be giving back to the community through Giving Day, a 24 hour online event with the sole purpose of raising money and creating a stronger sense of community. This will be the second annual giving day at Sonoma State. All funds raised on Giving Day go directly to Sonoma State students through scholarship money and increased funding for programs and initiatives that assist students and the future of Sonoma State.

There are currently 75 different programs, clubs, sports teams, scholarships, departments, and other organizations accepting donations through Giving Day. 

A minimum gift amount of five dollars is required to participate, however, there is no limit to how large or how many donations can be given. All contributions are tax deductible, and all payments are processed using a secure online giving form. 

Through an online portal, participants can pick and choose exactly what campaign or program they wish to send a donation to. Mail in checks are also acceptable forms of donation, and must be made payable to Sonoma State University with Giving Day in the memo section.  Visit https://sonoma.edu/give to view all the different ways you can donate to help support the University and students.

A unique factor about Giving Day is that it is primarily online, therefore social media plays a large role in spreading the word about the event and receiving donations. According to their FAQ page, “Your voice makes our Giving Day a success. Post about our Giving Day on all of your social networks. You can also download digital images in our Social Media Toolkit to help promote the Giving Day.” 

The Social Media Toolkit provides a guide to help promote the event through downloadable photo advertisements and captions available for all to post. Students, Faculty, and other SSU community members who choose to spread the word via social media are strongly encouraged to hashtag their posts with #AllForSonomaState.

Later that week on Saturday, April 9, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Associated Student Productions is hosting Lobo’s 5k Funathon. Participants are encouraged to register for this scenic 5k around Sonoma State’s campus and lakes by April 4. Show off your Noma Nation spirit, walking or running in the Funathon. There will be drinking water, music, and bubbles provided, along with a photo opportunity with Lobo at the end of the course. Participants will meet at Arbor and SSU Lakes for check-in at the Start line. For more information on the event, contact [email protected].

COURTESY// givingday.sonoma

SSU prepares for upcoming events in April such as Giving Day and Lobo’s 5K Fun-a-thon.