Wine Business Institute celebrates 25 years

Sonoma State’s school of business decided 25 years ago to offer an undergraduate degree focused on the business of wine, making them the first school to do that in the United States. To celebrate, there will be an event held at the Wine Business Institute (WBI) on May 31.

In their 25 years, the WBI has had three major achievements that they wish to celebrate. These include awarding 257 wine MBAs, the launch of the Global Wine EMBA and the opening of the Wine Spectator Learning Center, where the event will be held.

The WBI was created by Gary Heck of Korbel Champagne Cellars and according to him, he wanted “to create a program that would prepare the next generation to run our businesses, a viable succession plan for the wine industry,” via news.sonoma.edu.

“Great grapes and great wine were already the norms,” said Heck. “Professionalizing the business of wine was the next frontier to tackle.”

After 25 years of operating, the WBI has quite a few accolades to celebrate during their anniversary. According to the WBI website, they have awarded a total of 270 wine MBA degrees and 1610 wine business bachelor’s degrees. They rank number one in California for wine production volume and wine production value.

The wine business program currently has 12 different professional course offerings and a 22-1 ration of graduate students to faculty members. Over their 25 years, the WBI has also gained 25 board members.

For students who are undeclared or contemplating switching their major, the wine business program is a great choice. The wine business program has led to great careers for many SSU alumni such as Claire Hobday, the CFO of C. Mondavi and family, or Felicia Prater, the founder of The Urban Taste.

The anniversary celebration event will take place on Tuesday, May 31 from 5:30 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. at the Wine Spectator Learning Center on campus. Prior registration will be required to attend the event. Student who will still be living in the area after the school semester is over should consider attending to learn more about the Wine Business Institute and what it has to offer. 

STAR// Tanner Ivey