2016 Kimberly murder trial to continue through the fall

exc-631d2eb2d7fbff2fa5e02c32
    exc-631d2eb2d7fbff2fa5e02c32

The trial of Rohnert Park resident and suspect Daniel Carrillo, 20, for the 2016 stabbing death of Kirk Kimberly will continue through this coming October. Carrillo was a teenager when he brutally stabbed his high-school classmate, authorities say. 

Assistant District Attorney, Brain Staebell provided details via email on Carrillo’s arraignment. “He was already arraigned on the information on Aug. 16 and he pled “not guilty” to all of the charges and denied all enhancements,” Staebell wrote. 

Carrillo was admitted to Sonoma County jail in 2020. Since then, he’s been charged with one count of first-degree murder, as well as two sentencing enhancements. Conclusive evidence discovered over the course of Police’s investigation into Carrillo gave authorities enough reason to arrest him for the murder.

On Nov. 2, 2016, a Sonoma State landscaper discovered the body of Kimberly, an 18-year old Cotati resident, who was reported missing by his family on Oct 16, 2016. Kimberly was found half buried on the outskirts of parking lot M, located near the Green Music Center. 

At the time of the murder, Carrillo was 16 years old while Kimberly was 18. The investigation pursuing Kimberly’s case initiated shortly after the murder took place in 2016 and continued primarily through 2020.

Within the first year of the investigation, the Sonoma County Sheriff’s office had interviewed over 100 people regarding Kimberly’s case. Investigators looked deep into items involved at the crime scene such as Kimberly’s bike and the knife used by the perpetrator.

On Sept, 1, 2018, author Johnny Kerns released his book “Inherit the Whole Earth: Who Killed Kirk Kimberly.” Kerns is a forensic investigator who deals specifically with homicide cases. In his book, he names who he believes may be a viable suspect in the case. 

Kerns said that he used cell phone GPS data, as well as information provided by sources close to the case. The person that Kerns believed was the prime suspect at the time was incarcerated for a home invasion in Rohnert Park. 

In 2019, Kimberly’s mother, Jennifer Kimberly, expressed her hope for the ongoing investigation to the STAR. “It’s not cold. I can tell you it’s not cold,” she said. “As the months have peeled off, there have been glimmers of hope. They’re not giving us anything definite but they’re not giving up, they’re still working on it.”

SSU Criminal Justice Professor, Diana Grant said, “Every homicide case has unique features. In this case, there does not seem to be reporting about a potential motive.”

Grant expanded on the process of homicide cases. “Homicide investigations take a lot of work, and the passage of time can bring new information that moves the investigation along. In this case, it appears that testimony from a jailhouse informant played a key role. There is no statute of limitations on murder – so there are always cold cases waiting to be solved,” Grant said

Fourth-year student Anna Gallardo said, “For someone like Kimberly to be murdered that young is tragic and I just hope that justice is brought to the suspect who did this.”

Another student, Jackson Feinstein expressed his feelings on the case.” Reading up on it I discovered how violent the murder actually was. I didn’t realize it was such a gruesome attack. It’s really sad and also scary,” Feinstein said, “I trust that the justice system and the team they have on the case will do their job to bring this guy down.”

Mr. Carrillo will appear in court on Oct. 18, at which time it is likely his jury trial date will be set.

COURTESY // Inherit the Whole Earth: Who Killed Kirk Kimberly Facebook

Kirk Kimberly’s missing person’s poster.