Copeland creek shooting concerns students

exc-632a027a8b5fa624a778d918
    exc-632a027a8b5fa624a778d918

The Rohnert Park Police Department is investigating a shooting which occurred on Tuesday, September 13, 2022 on the Copeland Creek Trail.

A public statement from the Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety explained that at approximately 11:00 p.m., officers responded to a call of a possible altercation on the Copeland Creek Trail. The attack occurred in the area of the Santa Ana footbridge, approximately 2 miles from Sonoma State’s Campus.

The caller allegedly stated that they heard a gunshot, followed by a yell. When officers arrived at the scene, they located one victim, of an unknown age, with an injury consistent with being shot. The victim was transported by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Officers were unable to locate any more suspects(s) involved with the shooting. However, detectives were called to the scene, and the investigation is ongoing. As of now the identities of the victim and possible suspect(s) have yet to be established, and the victim’s injuries have yet to be disclosed.

During the ongoing investigation, The Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety is asking members of the public to avoid the area of the Copeland trail between Seed Farm Drive and Commerce Boulevard.

One of the detectives assigned to the case, Detective Kopsherer, was asked about the investigation, however he declined to comment.

The Copeland Creek trail crosses Sonoma State’s campus, near the Cabernet Village. Given this fact, Nadar Orweis, Chief of Sonoma State’s Campus Police Department, sent an email to notify Sonoma State students providing them with resources for campus safety, and stating,”We are not aware of any Sonoma State students, faculty or staff being involved in this incident.  Nonetheless, we recognize that members of our community may still be impacted.”

This is the second reported violent crime to occur near Sonoma State’s campus during the fall semester. Given the crime’s proximity to campus, some SSU students are treating the event as a reminder to stay safe. 

Lucas Wilson, a third year biochemistry major said, “The beginning of this [school] year has been full of reminders that just because we live on campus, [does not mean] we are immune to harm. While there is security in the fact that we live in a relatively isolated community, we must keep our heads on straight and make choices that keep our peers safe.”

Megan Lettow, a 4th year business major said,” I mean it just goes to show that the Copeland Creek Trail is not a safe place, I will be avoiding that area at all costs.” Some students were surprised when they caught wind of the shooting news. 

Sasha Wedner, a 3rd year Communications Major, had this to say,” Honestly it caught me off guard. This is the last thing I’d expect in this area. But on the other hand, I know this campus has seen its fair share of crime.”

Anyone with any information regarding this incident is asked to call the Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety Dispatch at (707) 584-2600 and refer to Case #22-3609.

COURTESY // Adriana Gonzalez

Copeland Creek trail sign taken where the trail meets Snyder Lane.