Clown seen prowling on ring cams in M-section of Rohnert Park

exc-6332115c9468f962590c0fcc
    exc-6332115c9468f962590c0fcc

Halloween has come early to Rohnert Park and this year, it’s in the form of a clown. Monday, Sept. 19, an unknown person wearing a white, full-face mask went door to door in M-section of Rohnert Park and spied on homes.

Reports of this clown initially came from residents who lived in the affected neighborhood of M section. Two ring camera recordings of the clown approaching front doors were shared on facebook pages by community members.

At 3:01 a.m., the first incident occurred at the Emerald Pointe Apartments on Camino Colegio. The masked man approached the house’s front door, stood there for a moment, and then proceeded to leave

The second incident occurred at 3:09 a.m in the 1300 block of Miramonte Place. The masked individual walked up to the front door of the residence, stood there for a brief moment while grasping the doorbell camera, and then walked away. 

In both incidents, the individual never attempted to enter the homes, tamper with anything from the porch or yard, and did not appear to be armed. Rohnert Park Public Safety stated that, although this behavior is concerning, it is not criminal.

Alexa Chanta, a fourth-year Sonoma State University student, lives in M section and shared her feelings about the news, “That is pretty much stuff of my nightmares. I’m terrified of clowns. I don’t understand why people find it amusing to do stuff like this but it scares the crap out of me, especially when it’s right around where me and my roommates live.”

Based on home surveillance footage, the man was wearing either a mask or some sort of cosmetics to resemble a clown. Students and observers identified the suspect’s facial appearance to resemble movie character Captain Spaulding from the 2005 film ‘The Devil’s Rejects’. In the film, Spaulding is depicted as a vulgar and murderous clown.

“I recognized the mask and knew it was from a movie or something” said fourth year SSU student Drew Schivo. He continued, “I don’t understand the appeal or attraction to some people in going door to door at three in the morning and scaring people. The guy might just be a maniac. If he returns I hope he’s caught, but it would be ideal if he doesn’t make another appearance.”

There has been some history in America of people dressing up and attempting to scare community members. Back in 2016, there was an influx of clown sightings across the nation. These were reports of people disguised as evil clowns in community settings, such as near forests and schools. At the time, a 16-year-old boy was fatally stabbed by a masked man back in Pennsylvania during the mysterious trend. The suspect was later identified as 29-year-old Avery Valentin-Bair. Bair was charged with third-degree murder and aggravated assault. 

Rohnert Parks Public Safety Department encourages anyone who sees something suspicious to contact them at (707)584-2600 and refer to case #22-3696.

COURTESY //Facebook, Blue Rose

Ring cam footage taken of the clown-man at 3 a.m. at an apartment in M-section.