SSU moves to upgrade the campus power grid

exc-633211d39468f962590c27e8
    exc-633211d39468f962590c27e8

Sonoma State University has begun the process of renovating the electrical power grid on campus, with the first phase of trenching and surface restoration likely to be completed by Sept. 24.

This construction project, taking place at the intersection of Sequoia Way and West Redwood Drive on campus, has caused sporadic traffic diversions.

In an email Robert Eyler, the Interim Assistant Vice President for Strategic Communications wrote, “This project is a part of the campus electrical upgrade, this particular portion is called the 12kV Switchgear upgrade.  It will serve [as] a piece of a larger effort to upgrade the aging electrical infrastructure on Campus as well as provide a foundation to other projects including the coming Solar Array with energy storage and the Campus Microgrid project.” Eyler noted these statements should be attributed to SSU staff members, not solely him.

According to Automatic Switch Company Power Technologies, a switchgear is, “a broad term that describes a wide variety of switching devices that all fulfill a common need: controlling, protecting, and isolating power systems. This definition can be extended to include devices to regulate and meter a power system, circuit breakers, and similar technology.”

Furthermore, according to A.S.C.P.T., “In the event of an electrical surge, switchgears interrupt the flow of power and protect the electrical systems from damage.”

This project is welcomed by Sonoma State students, despite the diversions it’s caused. Given how SSU experienced loss of power on three separate occasions in April of this year and the fact the electrical grid is over fifty-years-old.

Eddie Rakosky, a second year business marketing major said, “I think it’s pretty cool they’re making positive changes on campus, [electrical] power is always a good thing.”

Cameron Deleeuw, a third year engineering Major said, “From solar, the power would be abundant during summer, exactly the time the grid usually blacks out due to excessive heat. Depending on the power output, I believe this would be a positive for Sonoma State’s campus as a whole.”

In terms of fulfilling the needs of students, according to SSU staff in Eyler’s email, “In the short term, this will provide reliable electrical power distribution to the campus.  In the long term this is a fundamental step in reaching sustainability goals and a continuum of campus operation during catastrophic events.”

This project towards SSU’s climate action plan which, according to their website, “identifies goals, strategies, actions and metrics for achieving carbon neutrality, improving regional resilience to climate change, and infusing sustainability into the curriculum.”

The project is working  towards this goal by providing the groundwork and supplying the power for the solar array and campus microgrid projects, projects which serve to provide Sonoma State with a cleaner, more reliable source of energy.

This project is the first step towards providing a cleaner, more reliable source of energy to SSU’s campus, and will hopefully work to amend campus blackouts from happening at all.

STAR //Willow Ornellas

Construction to upgrade the power grid has been taking place in the front of the school since the beginning of the semester.