New themed and cultural meals are coming to SSU!

exc-633b2fe580f0dd59d8377a5a
    exc-633b2fe580f0dd59d8377a5a

Over the course of this semester, the Sonoma State University kitchens will be having a variety of themed dinners and informational heritage representation. 

This month the kitchens have been participating in Hispanic Heritage representation for Hispanic Heritage month which is from Sept.15 to Oct.15 every year. The last day for Hispanic Heritage Month in the kitchen will be Oct.13.

October will bring with it some holiday themed meals. Sip will be participating in national cinnamon roll day, offering a free cinnamon roll with a purchase of coffee on Oct.4. There will also be a drink special for the month of Oct., at Sip. The kitchens will also be hosting a pumpkin explosion monotony breaker lunch on Oct.5.

Later this month, on Oct.19 and 27, the kitchens will be hosting another special dinner for the Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual (LGBTQIA) community. 

Students have been loving the themed meals. 

Ally Buechler, a Freshman Theater Arts Major, a regular at the kitchens said, “The taquitos were so good a few weeks ago! They were very tasty.”

Allison DeStasio, a Freshman Hutchins Major, loves how accommodating the kitchens have been to all students. Statio said, “ My favorite food so far from this month has been the enchiladas. They needed a little more seasoning but overall were great and gave a sense of a home cooked meal.”

Freshman Theater Arts major, Allyson Boone, enjoys the fun that the kitchens are bringing this semester. Boone said, “I really enjoy the different types of music they have been playing this month.” Boone continued, “ I love that the kitchens are bringing different cultures into it for different options to eat because I love trying new things but I do wish that It wasn’t just for one meal and was there throughout the majority of the month and not just a couple days out of the month!”

Holly Galbraith, operations manager of Culinary Services said, “We are getting ready for Halloween with a themed dinner of horror through the decades on Oct. 20.” Walk down memory lane with the kitchens as you enjoy some spooky treats.  “Horror through the decades will be all about the different types of horror movies like Jason, Michael Myers, or Halloween all the way to now with more updated horror movies,” Galbraith said. 

Students should also be excited for November as there are some more exciting themes and dinners coming to campus.

COURTESY // Kayle Norris

A Culinary Services sign advertising the food and culture arriving to SSU alongside Hispanic Heritage month.