Continued mountain lion sightings fuel student fears

exc-6344887f057dc4688751097f
    exc-6344887f057dc4688751097f

As if Rohnert Park residents haven’t had enough reasons to be fearful as of late, with clowns and prowlers seen roaming the area, mountain lion sightings are once again popping up in multiple neighborhoods. 

At least four individual sightings occurred on Sept. 27 from 3-4 a.m. Police were not called to respond to the sightings, which were captured by front door cameras and posted on Nextdoor by residents. Chronologically, the first mountain lion was captured on camera at about 3:03 a.m. on Alice Drive in Penngrove, another was spotted at 3:18 a.m. on Mammoth Drive in Rohnert Park’s M-Section, a third sighting was at 3:29 a.m. in M-Section, and another at an unknown time on Wildflower Road in the Willowglen neighborhood. 

These most recent sightings come after Rohnert Park residents spotted a mountain lion along Copeland Creek on Aug. 18, and near the Foxtail Golf Course on Aug. 20 

The number of sightings across the Bay Area and the state have risen 17% since 2020 according to the Calif. Department of Fish and Wildlife. Despite this, the number of lions in the area remains relatively small. According to the Sonoma County Regional Parks website with an estimated population of 4,000-6,000 statewide, and only about 75 in Sonoma County. 

A variety of factors may be contributing to this increase. Ken Paglia, a spokesperson for the Calif. The Department of Fish and Wildlife, said that biologists believe the drought is forcing lions into residential areas in search of water, and wildfire damage has destroyed some of their habitats. 

Jordan Raquel, a third-year economics major, stated, “I think the increased sightings may be a consequence of two things. The first being real estate expansion, as we build more houses, we dominate more land, possibly infringing on lion territory. The second might have to do with Prop 117. Efforts are being made to protect nature, and with this piece of legislation, conservation habitats are being created.”

For Isabel Hall, a third-year English major, the presence of the big cats is less troublesome than some of the recent human activity around campus. “The mountain lion sightings don’t worry me as much as the clowns and prowlers do,” she stated. “They rarely interact with people, I feel like they only attack when threatened.”

Hall is right. In the past 65 years, the Department of Fish and Wildlife has recorded only 20 verified lion attacks in Calif., and only three fatalities in the past 130 years. While incredibly rare, it’s still important for all locals to know the basics of how to handle a mountain lion sighting in person. 

The National Parks Service instructs anyone who comes in contact with a mountain lion to do all they can to make themselves look large and intimidating. Speak Loudly, throw stones at the animal, and never crouch or run away. 

Veda Dean, a third-year communications and media studies major, said, “I would say we don’t need to be concerned for ourselves, but I think people with outdoor pets should be concerned. I would feel terrible for the people who suffer the loss of their pets to mountain lions!”

Unfortunately, this is fairly common. In a comment on one of the front door camera videos posted on Nextdoor, one user wrote, “Talking to someone from a mountain lion tracking group out of Sonoma a few years ago … when they find dead lions and do an autopsy, dogs and cats are found in the digestive system more often than not.”

In addition to mountain lions, other predatory wildlife has also been seen recently in the area, including coyotes and bobcats. 

If you see a mountain lion, please call the Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety NON Emergency number (707) 584-2600. If you see a mountain lion on campus, contact the SSU Police at (707) 664-4444.

COURTESY// Sondra Nicole-t, Rohnert Park Neighbor Facebook Group

At least four individual moutain lion sightings occurred on Sept. 27 from 3-4 a.m. Police were not called to respond to the sightings, which were captured by front door cameras and posted on Nextdoor by residents.