Local parents concerned over driver awareness following accidents

exc-63448918f96e3875d9dcd5ad
    exc-63448918f96e3875d9dcd5ad

Two Rohnert Park children were struck by vehicles in hit-and-run accidents on Wednesday morning. The children suffered minor injuries but these accidents have sparked worry in the minds of some local residents

Shelly Nicolas, a mother of three, had this to say regarding the incidents that occurred, “Now I am questioning whether I want to let my babies go out on their own. I understand that these kinds of incidents are rare, but you never want it to be your kid. It just makes me sick thinking of it.”

Nicolas, will still allow her children to go out but and about but says that she plans to make sure to remind her children of the importance of being careful while out and about on their bikes. She also said that she would ensure they wear protective gear while out riding. Nicolas said, “I don’t want to shelter them. I think it’s important for kids to get out and be active, but I will always be just a little nervous.”

Another anonymous biker that was out riding with his children said, “It definitely makes me think twice about sending my kids out to ride by themselves. I want to allow my children the freedom to go out and explore, but I want them to be safe above all else.”

Mark Sidorenko, a local biker,  said, “I am not very concerned for myself. I feel that I am very careful when I am out riding. It does make me worry a little about kids.”

Sidorenko explained his concern about kids further, “Drivers are adults for the most part, and they need to be more careful with kids out on their bikes. They need to understand that kids might not be super dialed on the rules of the road.”

Sidorenko, who is currently trying for kids of his own, explained the precautions he would have his kids take if accidents like these continue, “ I would have them wear padding such as vests, knee pads, and helmets to make sure that they are as protected as possible. If drivers won’t act responsibly, then it is up to parents to have their kids take the necessary precautions.”

The first incident occurred at 7:40 a.m. when a female driver hit a cyclist crossing Snyder Lane at the Copeland Creek Trail crossing. People who witnessed the accident told the driver to stay, but she drove away from the scene before emergency responders arrived.

The second incident happened at 8:05 a.m. on Snyder lane when a vehicle exiting a parking lot hit a child crossing the street on a bike. According to witnesses, the driver stopped initially but then left after briefly talking to the victim.

One of the Vehicles was a blue sedan or SUV. The driver was described  as a middle-aged Asian woman with shoulder-length black and gray hair. 

The second vehicle was red with a license plate of 7YPM635.

Investigators have yet to find the two drivers involved in the accidents. The Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety encourages anyone with information to reach out.

STAR // Willow Ornellas

Two Rohnert Park children were injured in hit and run accidents on their way to school last week. Now parents are concerned about their own children’s safety.