SSU nursing ranks No. 7 after threat of budget cuts, discontinuance

exc-634eea6b7269a01bc43b2542
    exc-634eea6b7269a01bc43b2542

In a congratulatory message sent out to students on Oct. 11, Sonoma State University praised its Department of Nursing for ranking No.7 out of No.131 nursing programs in California. SSU’s nursing program was rated the second highest amongst all CSUs. SSU’s score of 98.50 bested those of all CSUs, except for CSU Long Beach, which secured a No.4 spot with a score of 99.19. 

The rankings were determined by RegisteredNursing.org through a rigorous evaluation to assess student preparedness. These evaluation factors include analyzing past and present first-time pass rates on the National Council Licensure Examination [for] Registered Nurses, or the NCLEX-RN. 

SSU earned this ranking only one semester after the discontinuance of the nursing program was proposed. Last spring, a leaked budget working group document informed the campus of an appointed committee’s proposed plans to implement $5.5 million in budget cuts. This would be accomplished partly through the merging of some schools, and subsequent discontinuation of many programs, including nursing. 

The document, which was anonymously leaked to the STAR on March 30, stated, “The nursing program needs to be seriously evaluated for discontinuance. The cost of the program compared to students served, inability to hire tenure-track faculty, and the cost of equipment, programs, and facilities are the major reasons for evaluating this program’s discontinuance.” The majority of data included in its 29 pages was uncited, inaccurate, and directly contradicted data later provided by department chairs in response to the document. 

While the budget advisory committee didn’t follow through with these cuts, the lack of transparency throughout the process on the part of the committee, who neglected to inform or involve deans, chairs, professors, and students from the departments in question left a bad taste in the mouths of many involved. 

Anna Valdez, Chair of the Department of Nursing wrote in an email, “Our programs are always filled to capacity, our retention rates are over 90%, and our students graduate with the knowledge and skills needed to be successful nurses.” 

Offering her thoughts on the new ranking, Valdez wrote, “We are proud to be recognized. I believe what sets us apart is excellent faculty who are committed to student success. Our faculty are truly invested in our students’ learning.” 

Jordan Rose, the Family Nurse Practitioner Program Director is also excited about the program’s recognition. Rose said, “We have extremely devoted faculty and very high-quality curriculum. 20% of applications to SSU are for the Pre-Nursing program. Students who graduate from our program immediately contribute to improving the health of patients all over Northern California. “ She continued, “Our masters program also graduates more family nurse practitioners than almost any other program in Northern California. We have 100 graduates in our FNP program. As the baby boomer population continues to age, there will be an even larger demand for nursing and nurse practitioner care over the next two decades. It is critical that programs like ours continue to fill the need with capable and caring medical providers.

Kaija Freborg, an associate professor of nursing, said, “The local, surrounding communities depend on SSU’s Nursing Department to prepare future nurses to care for people in Sonoma County,” Freborg said. “If these programs were cut, what would happen to the community?” 

For Shannon Doyle, a second year biology major planning to pursue nursing, the top 10 ranking for the department highlights the strange prioritization of certain departments over others. “I truly think the nursing program was one of the last programs that should’ve been considered in the budget cuts,” she stated. 

Doyle emphasized that this would’ve been a game changer for her had it come to pass, adding, “If I were unable to get the classes I needed, I would’ve most likely transferred schools, as it would have impaired my learning experience for my nursing career.”

The No.7 ranking is a win for both the Department of Nursing and the University. Students and faculty alike want this recognition to serve as a reminder that departments which are essential to our health and survival should never take a backseat to others when it comes to budget cuts.

COURTESY// Noma News

Sonoma State University’s nursing program was ranked the seventh highest in the state of California out of 131 schools only one semester after the program was considered for discontinuance.