Highly anticipated reopening of Toast

exc-6356084803b3234cd4a08289
    exc-6356084803b3234cd4a08289

The Sonoma State University food venue that has been closed so long some students don’t know what it is, Toast, will reopen on Oct. 31. Culinary services are hopeful that the reopening of toast will combat the lengthy lines at Sip.

Located in between Darwin and Stevenson hall near the Bacon and Eggs sculpture, the kiosk will be open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Toast will serve everything from coffee, to pastries, bagels, grab n go sandwiches, salads, sushi, bottled beverages, and more. 

With the addition of food trucks, options on campus have been getting easier but you can expect it to get even easier. In an email exchange with the STAR, Lauren Antoni, Interim Director of Culinary Service wrote, “We will be accepting any tap-n-pay options in addition to wolf bucks, dining dollars, and bonus dollars.” Antoni also shared exciting news of a fun giveaway that is going to be Halloween-themed. The first 200 student customers will receive a Halloween treat on the day of the reopening. 

Toast originally opened 20 years ago but was forced to close in March of 2020 when COVID-19 hit. Delays with approval from the health department continued to prevent the reopening of Toast. 

Students are ecstatic that SSU is opening more food options on campus. Jenny Siebuhr, an early childhood education major said, “I think it’s great that SSU is opening more food options for students, especially on different parts of campus! It would be nice to have more options to grab food before class starts or after.”

Many students are grateful for more food options. Kimberly Smithson, a junior communications major, always wants to grab a quick bite to eat before class but feels as if there is nowhere to go. With the reopening of Toast she now has a convenient option. Smithson said, “I’ve never been to toast before but I’m excited that there’s going to be more food places on campus.” Smithson also plans to attend the reopening.

Ian Anderson, a senior kinesiology major, is going to be a first timer at the reopening and is looking forward to Toast’s breakfast items. Anderson said, “It sounds like fun. I like that more stuff is opening on campus. It feels like things are finally going back to normal. I plan on definitely going to toast. it would be perfect for in between class food, which would be super convenient for me. Especially on days when I have class all day.”

Getting some normalcy is all a lot of students ask for. Senior Hutchins arts major Kaitlyn Shellooe is happy she can have another coffee spot on campus. Shellooe said, “The line for Sip sometimes takes so long. I think this will benefit students because a lot of stuff closed because of COVID-19 and getting some normalcy back on campus will just be really beneficial and also we won’t have to worry too much if the lines for coffee and stuff are disputed between Sip and Toast.”

With Toast reopening, students can expect a good treat anytime but this Halloween don’t forget to be one of the first 200 students to get your special treat.