Sonoma County is ready for the holidays, are you?

exc-638e4c8f1ed407763870558b
    exc-638e4c8f1ed407763870558b

Tis the season to be jolly! With Thanksgiving behind us, a wide array of holiday events can be found across Sonoma county scheduled throughout the month of December. Many Sonoma State University students are excited for these events, some of which include parades, Menorah celebrations and tree lightings.

Following the COVID-19 pandemic, this is the first year we’re seeing the return of most holiday events. Specific events sorted by city can be found in a variety of places like Facebook, city websites and local publications.

If you’re close to Cotati, make plans to swing by the annual Holiday Tree Lighting happening this Friday. The event, organized by the city of Cotati, will be held in La Plaza Park. There will be food and craft vendors, as well as horse and carriage rides starting at 4:30 p.m. The evening will consist of music, free warm drinks, cookies, and more. The event details also include that there will be crafts for the children, story time, entertainment, and “special” guests.

The event is currently looking for craft and food vendors, providing an opportunity for anyone to sell their goods. For more information on the event or to become a vendor, please call (707)665-4222 or email [email protected].

Next week, Petaluma will be celebrating events of their own. On De.10, brightly lit and decorated boats will bring holiday cheer at the Petaluma Lighted Boat Parade. During the event, onlookers can watch as the boats make their way down the Petaluma River in the spirit of the holidays. The coordinators encourage anyone to participate in the boat parade, as it’s described that, “No vessel is too small to join in the fun, and everyone is welcome.” Whether on the water or specacting from afar, the city of Petaluma promises spectators a night of holiday joy with the Lighted Boat Parade.

Senior SSU student Cameron Ghassemi lives in Petaluma and said, “The boat parade in Petaluma actually sounds really fun, I never knew that was an annual thing that happened every December!”

Ghassemi continued, “Above all it’s just nice and refreshing to see this kind of stuff back in full scale coming out of the pandemic. The holiday seasons are so special and it makes me happy to see these celebrations back in action.”

On Dec. 10, there will be a Rec the Halls Holiday Celebration at Callinan Sports & Fitness Center in Rohnert Park. The Recreation center located right off Snyder Ln will be offering raffles to win prizes, holiday cookie decorating, holiday games and workout demonstrations by their certified personal trainers.

The event will be free admission and is scheduled from noon to 4 p.m.

Sophomore Ajai Daner spoke with the STAR and said, “Christmas has always been special to me, even as I get older. It’s nice to know there are events happening all over the county, it would be fun to make it out to something with friends before winter break.”

COURTESY// @hersheyduke109 Instagram

Many local holiday events are returning in full swing this year following the COVID-19 pandemic.