Stevenson Hall’s Reopening Represents Renewal

exc-638e4f6fa0fa935264ee1e41
    exc-638e4f6fa0fa935264ee1e41

Sonoma State University Stevenson Hall’s long-awaited reopening was marked by a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday morning. The nearly 250 attendants of the event appeared to be in awe after hearing about and seeing the changes that will be brought to the campus following the remodel. 

In the ceremony’s opening speech SSU’s Chief Planning Officer Christopher Dinno explained that this building should reflect teamwork and have more engaging learning opportunities. Dinno also revealed that over the course of the project SSU managed to save over 30% of the building’s total costs making it more sustainable than previously planned. This also equated to a lower carbon footprint for the project.

Following Dinno’s opening remarks, SSU Interim President Mike Lee took the podium and offered the audience some inspirational statements. To Lee, the reopening of Stevenson Hall “symbolizes Sonoma State’s renewal.” 

Dr. Lee cut the ribbon alongside the faculty and staff that supported the project. 

Following the ceremony, Stevenson Hall quickly became crowded with project contributors, faculty, students, alumni, and community members who raced to see the renovations. 

Imagine entering an Apple tech store with brilliant lighting and cutting-edge equipment, the experience of entering the newly rebuilt Stevenson Hall is comparable. The building’s architecture highlights clear glass windows and the high-tech “Silicon Valley vibes” that Dinno envisioned. Stevenson Hall’s new design is intended to be flexible for the next generation and those who follow.

Third-year student Jason Hill Jr. expressed his feelings about the new and improved Stevenson Hall. Hill stated this new building is  “an incredible work of art” that SSU students now have access to. Hill said, “It is a blessing and a true honor to have something like this on our campus.” 

Some students attending the reopening already had ideas for improvement running through their heads. A fourth-year communications major Azucena Ferrusca described the building as classy but gray and monochromatic, highlighting the fact that color makes a location more inviting. They’re concerned the building doesn’t have enough warm tones, but apart from that, Ferrusca said they were happy with the recent upgrades to the area around Stevenson Hall.

STAR// Adriana Gonzalez

A crowd of about 250 attended the ribbon cutting ceremony Friday morning, which marked the reopening of Stevenson Hall. Onlookers appear to be excited for the changes these renovations will bring to campus.