Students react to Rohnert Park events celebrating ‘Kindness Week’

I Heart Rohnert Park: Be Kind and Unwind presents National Kindness Week and is putting on daily special events city-wide to celebrate. This year the city of Rohnert Park invites everyone to a week full of special events, food, and kindness. 

National Kindness Week has become globally recognized, sharing two holidays; Valentines Day and Random Acts of Kindness Day. Deputy Director of Community Services Cindy Bagley said this celebration started in 2018 and she is looking forward to this week. “This is the first time ‘I Heart Rohnert Park’ has done a multi-event celebration,” said Bagley. 

Since most programs benefit the youth, she said that there will be several activities for the older community as well. 

Word is starting to spread around Sonoma State University. Students are excited about the events coming up and are planning to celebrate National Kindness Week to spread the love. 

Sonoma State senior and human development major Jake Hernandez plans on celebrating Kindness Week by volunteering and donating to local animal shelters. He also is looking forward to Trivia Night with some friends. 

“Kindness week to me does not mean much, only because I believe everyday, everyone should be kind to each other,” Hernandez said.

Another great way to celebrate the week is with ‘Taste of Rohnert Park.’ This event offers eclectic bites of cuisine from various local restaurants to celebrate these events. Restaurants like Turmeric Cuisine of India, Honey Badgers Coffee, and Amy’s Drive Thru are all participating in this year’s Kindness Week. “In past years we have hosted these places, but this year we decided to bring the celebration to them at their stores,” Bagley said. 

Sonoma State senior, Emily Eaton, majoring in Marketing and Wine Business Strategies was surprised by the holiday but was nonetheless supportive and excited.

“I didn’t know kindness week was a thing! But I think every week should be Kindness Week. It should mean being kind in any capacity you have! Whether it’s smiling and waving at a stranger on the street or paying for the order behind you in the drive through. I think everyone deserves kindness no matter how big or small. Out of all the events the workout and yoga classes definitely peak my interest the most.” Eaton said. 

Throughout the week there will also be special events to take advantage of like yoga classes, workout day, and trivia night at Spreckels Performing Center. To be eligible for these events first register in-person or online and get a pass from the Rohnert Park Community Center. Since most projects are focused around the youth, this week has plenty of chances for the older community to take part. “This is a good opportunity for the community to spoil themselves through the city,” Bagley said. 

This week is special to many people because of the amount of kindness being shared and spending time with people you love. “I’m very excited because I enjoy seeing smiles everywhere and spreading the love. It’s really all about peace, love, and positivity and doing numbers. Staying healthy and organic is the key,” said Hernandez.

Junior communications major Jalen Wallace was also unaware of the holiday but is ready to share the love and celebrate kindness. “I was unaware of kindness week, but was aware of Valentine’s day. I love giving back to my community and helping in any way I can, I also love seeing so many happy people” Wallace said. 

Wallace plans to pick some flowers and hand them out to people. “It’s okay to be single on Valentine’s Day, that’s why I try to give everyone some sort of treat or nice gesture, flowers can make anyone happy.

National Kindness Week is here and Sonoma State is ready to spread the love. Don’t forget to check out the events I Heart Rohnert Park is presenting.