Sonoma State celebrates Black History Month

Commemoration and celebration are prevalent themes for this year’s Black History Month, and students are excited to celebrate black joy and positivity on campus.

Black History Month began on Wed. Feb. 1 and will continue to be celebrated until Wed., March 1. Black History Month commemorates and celebrates African Americans and their achievements throughout U.S. history. 

Sonoma State University kicked off Black History Month last week with events on and off campus. A fundraising event was held at Chipotle in Downtown Rohnert Park on Wed. Feb. 8. The event lasted from 5-9 p.m., with a percentage of proceeds going to the Black Student Union at SSU. Students also got the chance to celebrate with live music and food at the Black Student Union and Vibes block party on Fri. Feb. 10, which took place at the Sauvignon Village quad. The BSU also hosted a Super Bowl watch party on Sun. Feb. 12 at the HUB Cultural Center.

One of the events hosted by the HUB Cultural Center took place last week on Tues. Feb. 7, at the SSU Lakes, where students and faculty honored the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The event lasted from noon until 1 p.m. 

This is the first year that the event has been held. 

Guest speakers included Dr. Mike Ezra, professor and department chair for American Multicultural Studies, Black Student Union Co-President Amanda Luckett, and Tramaine Austin-Dillon, interim director of Sonoma State’s multicultural center and manager in the office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. 

Austin-Dillon said, “As Interim Director of the HUB Cultural Center, we make sure to start with the students and our Center values. With this particular event we connected with the Black Student Union and asked them how they wanted to kick off Black History Month.” 

He added that Dr. King exemplifies the idea of ‘Black Resistance,’ which is the idea that Black institutions, organizations, and individuals have the tenacity to advocate for justice. He said that the events held by the BCU seek to honor Dr. King’s history and carry forward the legacy of resistance. 

“This event is imperative for the Black Community at SSU because it expresses gratitude for one of the most pivotal Black heroes and leaders that has contributed to our shared American history and culture,” Austin-Dillon said. 

The main goal of the event was to dedicate time and space to honor Dr. King, as well as celebrating social change, cultural expression, and creativity.

Other students, one being India Garcia, said that celebrating Black Joy was integral for Black History Month. “It’s important to celebrate my authentic self unapologetically,” Garcia said. 

‘Black Joy’ is an expression that is used to highlight positive experiences and joyful moments in different aspects in their lives, and the other lives of Black people.  

“I’ll be celebrating Black History Month by going to the Block Party,” said Taneesha Porter, a student representative for the Black Student Union. “I’m excited to attend the events and have fun.” 

For more information on upcoming events celebrating Black History Month, visit diversity.sonoma.edu