Memorial at Wolf Den Plaza reminds students to look before crossing

Students attending Sonoma State University may remember the tragic news of the passing of 21-year-old Hugo Ramirez in July of 2021. Hugo died after being struck by a car on East Cotati Avenue while crossing the street near the campus. The memorial on the sidewalk of the Wolf Den Plaza remains today as a reminder of this heartbreaking loss to the SSU community and reminds students to always be safe when traveling near busy streets.

Many students visit the Wolf Den Plaza daily due to its close proximity to the campus, restaurant choices, and late hours of operation. But as the days get shorter and nights come sooner, East Cotati Avenue becomes more dangerous to cross earlier in the day.

SSU computer science major and avid cyclist, Caroline Zeliger said, “I have felt unsafe while biking around this area in the past. When biking off campus, I have found I have to take detours in order to safely make turns where I don’t have to switch over multiple lanes.” She added, “I would recommend that bikers get a strong U lock to prevent theft and signal to other cars for their safety.”

Because there is only one crosswalk that leads to Wolf Den Plaza from campus, students may feel inconvenienced when attempting to cross from the other side. 

Third year psychology major, Sophie Michaels frequents the Wolf Den Plaza and said, “I think there should be another crosswalk on E. Cotati. It’s not very safe and usually people end up jaywalking because the crosswalks are so far apart.”

Rohnert Park Deputy Chief, Kevin Kilgore said, “As a cyclist myself, I think the following safety measures are important for cyclists and motorists: For cyclists, wear reflective or bright color clothing day or night and ensure your bicycle is equipped with front and rear lights and are utilized when biking day or night.”

Deputy Chief Kilgore added, “Ride with others if possible and use the bike lane when one is present. On streets without bike lanes, use the vehicle lane and own the road without impeding traffic. For motorists, Pay attention to the roadway and your surroundings. Do not be a distracted driver. Share the road with bicyclists and when passing a bicyclist, obey the law and allow a minimum of 3 feet between the side of your vehicle and the bicyclist.”

SSU Alum of 2022, Matt Bessa told us that while he never felt unsafe biking on campus, it was assuredly more “sketchy” on East Cotati Avenue. 

He recounted a close encounter he once had on his way to the Wolf Den Plaza, “I entered the crosswalk and walked my bike across the street like the law-abiding citizen that I am when all of a sudden a car was making an unprotected turn and failed to notice me in the crosswalk and was inches away from ramming me.”

Bessa added, “One thing that I would advocate to other bikers on campus is the importance of helmets. Before embarking on a ride, I would always make sure to strap up my helmet and make sure my head was fully protected!”