Oktoberfest at Brewsters Beer Garden

exc-5d8ac5f6d785934fcc0f5123
exc-5d8ac5f6d785934fcc0f5123

For those among Sonoma State students alike who are striving to celebrate Oktoberfest, but are unable travel to its true roots and event showcase in Munich, Germany, Brewsters Beer Garden will be holding an Oktoberfest celebration the weekend of Sept. 28 and Sept. 29. Although the event is free for those of all ages, particularly, for students of age, grab your “dirndl” or “lederhosen” and head over to the festival for a plethora of beer drinking, live music, games, and authentic German food. 

General manager, Ben Hetzel, says, “when we were developing our core vision for Brewsters Beer Garden, we kept coming back to the need to have a strong sense of community; an annual Oktoberfest celebration is one manifestation of this aspect of our vision. We are a true community gathering place, where everyone is welcome and feels comfortable and respected.” 

Unknown.jpeg

Oktoberfest is the world’s largest Volksfest and has now become a worldwide phenomenon. Celebrating Bavarian culture and flowing pints of beer, the drinking-filled festival is one not to miss out on. Although the annual event is well associated with beer, it certainly has its fill of Bavarian traditions all the while. And, while beer is provided at the beer tents, people find that other attendees alike cheer enormously passionate as they sing along to Bavarian music. 

Oktoberfest became a celebrated tradition 200 years ago when, “Bavaria’s Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen on Oct. 12, 1810. The wedding was celebrated with multiple days of drinking, feasting and horse races,” according to Time.com.

This time around, the cherished event’s counterpart in Brewsters Beer Garden is an open-air dining restaurant offering an array of local craft beer on draft, Sonoma and Napa Valley wine as well as a full selection of spirits and cocktails. In celebration of Oktoberfest, Brewsters Beer Garden will transform the restaurant into a festival as an appropriate ode. The restaurant’s staff members will also be adorned in traditional Bavarian attire as they cater Oktoberfest guests’ desires. 

Of course, it is not Oktoberfest without beer. Pick your choice from an array of over 30 local craft beers on draft. Brewsters Beer Garden has a selection of local craft beer ranging from the following breweries: Henhouse Brewing, Lagunitas Brewing Company, Cooperage Brewing Company, Barrel Brothers Brewing Company and several others boasting many more tasty brews. No matter which is of choice, attendees are certain to find a unique and traditional beer that fulfills all aspects of enjoyment.

Be sure to tap into the schnitzel and beer sausage by executive chef, Todd Shoberg, and dance away with live music provided by Big Lou’s Polka Casserole and Schwabenland German Band. A stein holding competition will also be offered for men and women and a yodeling completion for adults and children.

Oktoberfest centers around beer, however the event is family friendly and attendees are not required to be 21 and older. Tickets are not required to enjoy the festival. If students–whether prepared with their Dirndl and lederhosen, or not–find the time this weekend, Brewster’s Beer Garden’s Oktoberfest event is definitely an extraordinary experience worthy of checking out.