Sonoma State University celebrates quality instruction

An award can symbolize a variety of achievements depending on the context. For a little league team it symbolizes teamwork and knowing how to hit a ball, for an artist it can symbolize amazing creative achievement. Sonoma State’s Excellence in Teaching Award represents a unique set of standards for teaching, and this year’s nominees were announced last Tuesday.

Since the award was initiated in 1997 at SSU, winners and nominees of the Excellence in Teaching Award exemplify “quality of instruction, creation of an academic environment that successfully encourages high intellectual aspiration and achievement, effectiveness in mentoring students, and promotion of learning outside the classroom.” This was stated on the Excellence in Teaching Award webpage. 

This year’s nominees were announced through e-mail, and include nine professors. Six of the nine professors teach for the School of Science and Technology, including beloved professor of mathematics André Minor who passed away in February. 

Two geology professors were nominated, that being Marissa Mnich and Matty Mookerjee. Anthropology Professor Alexis Boutin, Chemistry Professor Monica Lares, and Biology Professor Shannon Erickson Lee are also nominated. 

Philosophy Professor Andy Wallace and Choral Director Jenny Bent represent the School of Arts and Humanities, and Psychology Professor Elisa Velásquez-Andrade is the sole nominee from the School of Social Sciences. One or two nominees can win the award in a year, depending on the available funding. The award is currently funded by the Office of the Provost. 

The period for students and community members to submit public comments for the nominees is now open until April 3 and must be sent through an email directly to the Academic Senate at [email protected]

Computer Science Professor Mark Gondree was the winner of last year’s award. Speaking on his award, Gondree said “being nominated was incredibly special to me, because the nomination comes directly from students. To me, the award is a lifetime achievement that I will always value”

He added: “Every one of [this year’s] nominations is well-deserved. I am so proud of seeing the School of Science and Technology represented strongly among the nominees this year!”

Overall, Gondree emphasized the importance of growth and how the campus as an environment fosters that: “I initially felt unprepared and undeserving to receive [this award]. I am still growing. I am thankful that SSU is a place where growth as a teacher is valued and supported.”

Anybody in the campus community can submit a nomination for professors they feel embody the requirements for the award. Nominated faculty submit a collection of documents called a dossier to the Academic Senate Office which outlines their teaching philosophy, experience, and recognition from outside entities such as research institutes or past students/employers. The dossier also includes all submitted public comments.

The Teaching and Learning Senate Subcommittee (TLS) convenes to vote on nominees and refer to each nominee’s dossier. Chair of the TLS, Elizabeth Ducy, elaborated on the voting process and its student representation. “A student representative from Associated Students has been invited to participate in the selection process, but at this time, this spot remains open. TLS will meet in March and April regarding the selection and nomination process.”

Nominees will be recognized and the winner(s) will be announced at Convocation at the start of the academic year, though Ducy revealed “there has been recent interest in establishing an in-person reception to honor teaching and research awardees, but this is still in discussion”

The awardee(s) will receive a cash reward and a portrait to be displayed in the library. Ducy could not yet confirm whether the awardee(s) will receive a certificate or some type of physical award.

Convocation will be on August 18 and Seawolves are encouraged to attend and submit comments for nominees.