SSU remembers Bruce Johnson with his art

On March 23, renowned Bay Area sculptor Bruce Johnson passed away at his home in Timber Cove at the age of 77. For over 50 years, Johnson worked and lived on a forested ridge in Timber Cove along the Sonoma County Coast overlooking the Pacific, and created multiple intricate and inspiring art pieces from wood and steel, including the two sculptures, Asia and Understanding Matter located outside the Green Music Center.

Interim Art Gallery Director and Lecturer in Art History Jennifer Bethke says that she remembers Johnson as “an incredibly kind and generous person, with a gentle sense of humor. He was extremely skilled in and knowledgeable about his craft, and he really enjoyed showing visitors around his studio in rural west Sonoma County.”.

According to reports, Johnson’s death was the result of an accident in his home studio, and as of now, details of the report have not been released to the public by authorities. Friends, including one speaking on behalf of his two daughters, have told the Press Democrat that a piece of one of his sculptures fell upon Johnson when he was moving or working on it, suffering a head injury as a result.

The first of Johson’s sculptures on Sonoma State, Asia, which was installed in 2012, can be visited and viewed outside of the Green Music Center. The newest on-campus piece of his, titled Understanding Matter, can also be found outside the Green Music Center as well. Installed in February, this was created in dedication of Donald and Maureen Green, the founders of North Bay’s Telecom Valley, and helped provide the foundational grant for the Green Music Center itself. 

“We are thrilled that they are part of Sonoma State’s art collection. They will be here on campus for all to enjoy.” says Green Music Center Executive Director Jacob Yarrow in regards to Asia and Understanding Matter. “They’ll forever remind me of Bruce’s creativity, care for the environment, and the love he put into the world.”.

Johnson grew up in the Bay Area and would study art at the University of California, Davis in the 1960s. He was renowned for his great art pieces constructed from steel and salvaged old-growth redwoods, made distinct via handcrafted detailing, copper etching and pounded metal. He described his art pieces as crosses between shinto shrines and Stonehenge. Many of his art pieces were so large that they had to be moved with trucks and cranes. According to his website, the Stonehenge inspiration is reflected by the “primal sense of scale, mass, and physical presence of his work” and the shinto shrine inspiration is shown through “the elegant craft and exquisite detail of sacred wood architecture.”. Despite his rural base of operations, Johnson’s work would receive international recognition in Taiwan, Italy, and Spain, plus in many private and public collections across the U.S.A.

“Bruce’s works are deeply reflective of our local region. Crafted from massive pieces found in redwood embellished with copper, his art really speaks to the redwood-shrouded and ocean-bounded landscape of Sonoma County,”, Bethke says in regards to describing Johnson’s work.

In addition to sculptures, Johnson also used his skills in other projects, such as the construction of unique buildings, gardens, playgrounds, fountains, and so much more. Some of the work that he held close to his heart was work done on important buildings such as the historic Sea Ranch Chapel at Fort Ross, the Moon Gate at the Asian Art Museum, and the beautiful “Poetry House.”

Our thoughts are with Bruce Johnson and his family during this time of mourning. If you want to know more about Johnson’s work you can go visit his website at formandenergy.com. The Green Music Center and University Art Gallery will also be hosting a dedication for Johnson’s new sculpture on May 11.