Noise violation fines to be raised, impacting off campus students

Last week, the Rohnert Park Police Department proposed that the infamous 120 ordinance, a noise violation, be raised from $500 to $1000.

When a household has 10 or more people occupying it and is playing loud music, they are vulnerable to receiving a 120 citation. A 120 citation forces the residence to be silent for 120 days. If the 120-day rule is broken, violators must pay, what was once  $500, a $1000 fee. The residence is also given a sign that must be visible from street view stating that they were summoned to the 120-day rule. If caught without the sign, a fine of $100 can be issued. 

When choosing a college to attend as a high school senior, it is important to most that the school has a reputation for fun. Most young, wide-eyed 18-year-olds are eager to let loose and party, something they have never been able to do before. The increase in the cost of the violation has caused outrage in current students as the fun party environment, that most people look for while applying to schools, will be compromised.

The city claims that the movement will not prohibit parties or social gatherings and that “they are not necessarily targeting students”. However, in a college town where house parties are the norm, it seems unlikely. Many students spoke on their experiences with prejudice neighbors, saying that there is a preconceived judgment of them before they even move in.  

Sonoma State is a small community of just 9,201 students. As fraternities and other organizations begin to be fined $1000, the number of parties will decrease, ultimately damaging the reputation of Sonoma State. Punishing young undergraduates for having fun on their weekends will cause a significant decrease in enrolments. Over the next few years, because of the drop in enrolments, campus involvement will incinerate along with budget.    

The mayor of Rohnert Park made it clear that he does not think the price will make any difference because parents usually pay the bill. He went on to say that there needs to be better communication methods between the students and the city community in order to form respect and understanding. 

Many students understand that there are surrounding neighbors who do not appreciate the noise, but they do not want to give up their college experience because of it. There is a difficult dilemma between residents and students due to the differences in their agendas.

As SSU advocates spoke at the council meeting, some brought up the idea of having a housing area strictly for students so that they can have the normal “college experience” without disturbing Rohnert Park residents.

Seawolves have brought forth the idea of creating a Greek Row previously but were rejected. Creating a neighborhood for students would make the lives of RPPD, Rohnert Park residences, and Sonoma State students a whole lot easier. The police department would have an easier time patrolling student life, fewer drunk driving incidents would occur, and the community of Rohnert Park would be at peace knowing they have a quiet neighborhood to come home to. 

An increase in the 120 will decrease the number of parties hosted by students, however, it will not stop them altogether. The city previously raised the fine hoping to stop the constant noise violations, but they did not stop. In 2011, Rohnert Park attempted to stop the gatherings by raising the punishment from 60 days to 120. This just led students to move their parties to different houses. 

Raising the fine will not solve the problem, but tarnish the reputation of SSU by losing the interest of incoming freshman. Current students are not happy about the fine and are actively voicing their thoughts to both the city of Rohnert Park, and potential seawolves. Raising the fine will not solve the problem, but tarnish the reputation of SSU by losing the interest of incoming freshman.