Once a Seawolf, always a Seawolf: mourning postponed graduation

For graduating seniors, this is no doubt the strangest and hardest time of their lives. It is hard to comprehend that students have worked so hard the past four years and won’t be able to cross the stage at Green Music Center this May. We have lost our senior events, time with our beloved professors and friends, and the last two months of our youth. Many individual’s minds are racing and hearts are full of sadness because we have
to let go of our schooling experiences early. When the university sent notice that classes would be held online
for the remainder of the semester, the shock and confusion did not set in for most until recently. It wasn’t Zoom courses that made this so terrible, but the fact that we might not see classmates, acquaintances, friends, and professors ever again. The connections we made the past four years are gone. We are left with no celebrations, no goodbyes, and no chances to sit in a classroom as a student for the final time. Since
move-in day freshman year, everyone has dreamed about the day they would cross the stage and make family, friends, and professors proud. Not to say they aren’t proud, but that moment of recognition is likely gone. Even though the graduation ceremony is not a crucial celebration for everyone, it is often one of the only events that all close family members will try to attend, regardless of their location and schedule. So many college graduates are excited to see long distance friends and family during this special day, and come together to celebrate their successes. College students are under an immense amount of stress and sometimes feel as if they are not getting the credit they deserve for their hard work. A commencement ceremony is exactly what many people need to round out their college experience. Although it is understandable that health concerns take priority over fond memories, it does not make it easier to accept the loss. The Covid-19 virus has taken a huge toll on our emotional health and with isolation, it seems like the world is crashing down. The worst part is, we are powerless. We can not control the spread of this virus or when it will vanish. All we can do is hope for the best, but at this point, it is hard to see the light at the end of
the tunnel. Any angry or upset feelings are valid and relatable to almost every single college senior out
there. Anyone who tries to tell us our sadness is blown out of proportion does not understand the emotional toll this has taken and will continue to take on our lives. The good news is that we are young and have our lives ahead of us. Things will get better; that is inevitable. Maybe not right away, but we will find a way to overcome this disappointment. We will succeed and make this world a better place. We will pursue our
dreams and we will get to where we ultimately want to be. At a time like this, it is important to lean on friends and family. Being isolated makes it easier to sink into depression. Making jokes, playing games, being around people is the only thing that will get us through these tough times. Of course, it is important to practice social distancing, but we have to make sure we don’t disappear into the abyss. Take time out of our days to call,
send a good morning text, and just check on each other. Spread love and positivity because that is all we can do. It is okay to mourn and be sad.. In the absence of a graduation ceremony, spreading uplifting energy to each other will help. This world needs social connection, even if it is through texts and phone calls. We will prevail and we will show this world what we are made of. There is nothing we can’t do. Keep working hard and finish the semester off strong. Once a Seawolf, always a Seawolf.