Can the U.S. move past Trumpism and remain an example of democracy?

exc-602333ab4b04cf6524a2fdd6
exc-602333ab4b04cf6524a2fdd6

Only three weeks after the Presidential inauguration of Joseph R. Biden and about a month after a failed attempt by right-wing conspiracists to storm the capital and halt the certification of a legitimate election, a shocking and successful coup attempt in Myanmar dealt another blow to democracy on the international stage. 

While democracy glided on much thinner ice in Myanmar, also known as Burma, one shouldn’t ignore the haunting similarities between the storming of the U.S. capital on Jan. 6 and the coup d’etat in Naypyidaw, Myanmar’s political capital. 

Both events came after months of insistence of widespread voter fraud from ousted leaders and attempts to usurp the results of legitimately won elections. 

In the U.S., Trump went on a 77 day campaign, starting from hours after the November election results came in and leading up to Inauguration Day. He attempted to overthrow the results of the election in every way possible; through unsuccessful court cases (60 failed cases to be exact), relentless denial of a peaceful transition of power, brazen attempts to pressure Republican governors and secretaries of state to “find” votes, and finally asking loyalty from Vice President Mike Pence to stop Biden from being inaugurated, something Pence has no constitutional authority to do. 

Myanmar, plagued with decades long instability, saw a very similar campaign waged on free and fair elections after the military declared the results of their Nov. 2020 election invalid and called for a state of emergency. The military reacted harshly after the non-military backed party, the National League for Democracy, won 396 out of 476 seats in parliament and their party, the Union Solidarity and Development Party clinched only 33 seats. They then began a multi-month crusade to try to overturn the results through claims of fraud and an insistence that because of the pandemic, the election should have been delayed. 

Many political scientists have pointed out the striking similarities between the events occurring just weeks apart, and believe that Trump’s rhetoric may be seen as inspirational to authoritarian military leaders–like those in Myanmar. 

In an article for Insider, Brian Klaas, a political scientist at the University College London, said, “It wouldn’t be surprising if the generals in Myanmar saw Trump’s false accusations of widespread fraud after the election and decided to use a similar approach as a pretext for something they were already planning to do: seize power. In that way, Trump has given despots across the world fresh rhetorical ammunition to justify their authoritarian actions.”

Bill Maher, in his weekly political-themed talk show on HBO, has identified since 2017 the similarities between Trump and authoritarian leaders around the world, creating the “Dictator Checklist”. He claimed Trump had achieved 9 out of 10 specifications that are indicative of authoritarian leaders. 

Some of those include, ‘lying so freely supporters don’t know what the truth is and don’t care…wanting to hold military parades, and musing openly about being president for life.”

Trump said in 2018 after learning China’s president, Xi Jinping, could remain president for life if China’s Communist party took away term limits, “He’s now president for life. President for life…he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.”

Some may defend the President’s quote, insisting he was joking, but with the eyes of the world looking to the U.S. as an example for democracy everywhere, we need to once and for all denounce Trumpism.

If we do not use the coup in Myanmar as an example of how Trump’s rhetoric can inspire other countries with a more fragile system of democracy, we may see military strongmen around the world emboldened by Trump’s unrelenting attack on democracy, elections, and the truth. 

Being a source of inspiration for authoritarian leaders is the ultimate reason Trump needs to be impeached by the Senate and barred from running for political office again. Not only is Trump a danger to democracy in the U.S., he is a danger to the ideals of democracy world-wide. He deserves no second chance to undermine the will of the American people and inspire sympathy from other leaders looking to bend the truth and act upon baseless claims that further their agenda, as opposed to the desire of the people they rule. 

Trump’s rhetoric is dangerous and should not be taken in jest after the deadly attack on the Capitol in Washington killed five people and injured dozens more. Trump is unremorseful for his role as the enthusiastic leader of a slow-moving right-wing coup against democracy. For his unapologetic attack on the democratic foundation of this country, we should unapologetically impeach him as soon as possible.