SSU ‘All-Inclusive Experience’ ignores student struggles

exc-60471bec78a7b14d24bbbc23
exc-60471bec78a7b14d24bbbc23

As the Coronavirus shutdown almost reaches its one-year anniversary, Sonoma State University has suggested that there will be greater emphasis on returning to in-person activities over the course of the next year. 

With the state Assembly and Senate voting to restore the $299 million from the CSU budget which had been removed a year ago, SSU will have more influx of money and resources. This has led to some beneficial additions for students who live on campus. Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Karen Moranski said in an email to all SSU students, “We are launching the Seawolf ‘All-Inclusive Experience’ for all residential students, which will include a $250 credit for learning materials at our bookstore, no-cost parking for the fall semester, free drip coffee at dining locations, and much more.” The bonuses also include free events for students, support services in the residential communities, two-year housing guaranteed, winter break housing with no additional fees, a price-lock guarantee, and special offers which have yet to be announced. 

These are generous privileges given to students who choose to live on campus in the coming year, specifically the $250 to put towards the bookstore–since the average cost of textbooks for the 2020-2021 year was $986. As well as a price match, the SSU website states that, “Wherever you decide to live on-campus and/or whatever meal plan you choose, you will pay the 2021-2022 rates for up to four consecutive years.” 

Some students have questioned where this assistance was when the COVID-19 pandemic first hit campus. These actions seem very different from ones taken when dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, just last semester. Students who were not residents in 2020 were given an estimated 42% refund on parking passes, as they were used through March 17th. Those who were residents were given until March 31 to move out and claim a housing, parking permit, and meal plan refund. This is exactly a two-week notice to move out, or risk losing out on a refund. 

After 12 months of no assistance, it feels as though this seemingly kind offer is just being used under the pretenses of increasing attendance for the Fall semester. As reported by Mary Callahan from the Press Democrat in June 2020, “Sonoma State University is on track to see a 20% decline in enrollment among incoming freshmen and up to an 8% drop campuswide.” With the cost of education remaining the same, there is less interest in getting an online education, while paying as though we were in person. 

Getting more people to live on campus becomes a large economic draw with the new bonuses from SSU. As Callahan reports, “Campus housing, usually utilized by about one-third of SSU’s nearly 9,000 students, will accommodate about 50% fewer people this year, due to spacing and individual restroom requirements,” SSU administrators said. Convincing students to stay with Sonoma State for 4 years in a price-locked living situation grants the University with a guaranteed 4 years of tuition from the student.

It is logical that as Sonoma State transitions back to in-person classes, the university would rely on incentives to entice students to return back to on-campus living. This ‘All-Inclusive Experience’ is truly fantastic for incoming students, and offers benefits for the students that can be housed in the dorms. But, some Seawolves are feeling left out, and these bonuses came a little too late. Sonoma State has neglected to address the lack of assistance this past year for the 9,000 students who lived on campus during the Spring 2020 semester.