‘Head West’ for the summer at The Barlow

exc-627ac0b7e931dd72ec0fdee6
exc-627ac0b7e931dd72ec0fdee6

Now that summer is swiftly approaching, it is the perfect time for the Seawolves to discover more of Sonoma County. The Barlow, which is located in Sebastopol, offers a variety of activities to partake in. On May 7, an event known as “Head West” welcomed small businesses and local organizations creating an outdoor marketplace. Patrons were able to browse freely through the market to discover what participating businesses had to offer at their own pace.. 

“Head West” is truly about the vendors and allowing them to connect one on one not only with each other but also with customers. This creates more genuine connections, which have been lacking since the beginning of the pandemic. The event is located outdoors, so this also allowed for safe, socially distanced, face to face contact. 

Danella Mckinnon, who assists with the curation of the “Head West” event, spoke to the Sonoma State STAR about her business and their partnership with The Barlow. “I am a co-owner of Mckinnon Collective, we do hand crafted leather goods for everyday people. I have loved being a part of Head West for the community that we are able to make together as creators and small business people.We all support one another and enjoy sharing our creations with the city of Sebastopol and really all of Sonoma County.”

You can find an array of small businesses like Mckinnon Collective at The Barlow year round. There are also established storefronts to explore in The Barlow when the outdoor marketplace is not running. You can explore shops offering household plants or even sign up to make cheese. 

There is a vast selection of jewelers that attend the Head West event in order to get more buzz for their businesses. 

Christmas Stewart is one of these local jewelers. In an interview with the SSU STAR, Stewart discussed the importance of this event, “I am the owner and maker of Drugstore Cowgirl Jewelry. Head West is one of my favorite events to participate in. It is the best run event in Sonoma County and they really foster a feeling of community here. It’s truly a great way to get local artists in the public eye.”

Jimmy Brower is the individual behind the event. On the “Head West” homepage, Brower discusses the importance of an accessible and affordable space for the community. He also discusses the inclusivity of “Head West”, and how makers can use the marketplace to further promote their businesses.

The STAR interviewed Amanda Jensen, the creator of Golden Hour Designs, who discussed Head West’s ability to create a fun and engaging communal space. “I have been coming to this market for about a year now and it is just so cool and fun to be a part of. There are tons of different artisans here and just so many people around in general. I love being able to share my designs here and I will keep coming back for as long as they let me.” 

Along with the outdoor markets, there are food and drink options located all around the main strip of vendors. There is anything from sushi to hand tossed pizzas. Looking for a cold refreshment? Crooked Goat Brewing is a local brewery that offers unique beverages and live music every weekend.

The Barlow offers a great way to get involved with the community. In addition to the  abundance of options for day to day items like clothing and jewelry, there are also booths dedicated to LGBTQ+ and BIPOC organizations. This outdoor marketplace offers locals so many different options to choose from. If you want to support local businesses or just want to discover a new destination this summer, check out The Barlow. 

STAR // Rosalee Padilla

Patrons enjoy blue skies and mild spring weather as they peruse the “Head West” marketplace at Sebastopol’s The Barlow on Saturday afternoon.