Students deserve a more powerful voice

Courtesy // @seawolfliving on instagram

Sonoma State Seawolves deserve representation that can only come from a student union.  Since the pandemic there have been an increasing number of changes to the campus, from the change of presidents to the million-dollar reconstruction of Stevenson Hall. But, did the students have any say in these matters? Overall the student body of SSU wants their opinions recognized by the university.  Implementing a student union could be a step in the right direction.

In higher education, a student union frequently receives its own building on campus, which is used for social and organizational events, student representation, and academic support. Oklahoma State University has had a student union since 1951, and their mission is to be  “A comprehensive system of diverse people, services, programs and facilities that enrich the intellectual, cultural and social well-being of the OSU student and campus community.”

Fourth-year student Shelby Silva majoring in early childhood studies with a concentration in education emphasized that SSU should have a student union. Silva explained how, “It would be a great opportunity to foster more community here at SSU, while also allowing students to have their voices be amplified, heard, and seen.”

SSU does have an organization called Associated Students, which is run by students. Their major goal is to create a sense of community at the university by putting together events on campus. They also attempt to give students resources, leadership opportunities, social connections, and community involvement. Unfortunately, it seems that they don’t have as much clout as they should. Where was AS during the budget crisis? The Sakaki scandals? A student union would guarantee Seawolves’ involvement in political issues on campus. Having a location where students can go to discuss a variety of issues they see on campus does not align with what AS can provide. On March 13, the start of the voting period for the new student body representatives for the AS elections. We can only hope that as roles are filled, students will work to create change on campus and make sure our voices are heard.

Seawolves have often been left in the dark. The STAR seeks to raise awareness of pressing issues on campus. If students don’t feel supported by our campus resources and are dissatisfied with what is going on, they should have a place to turn. This became apparent when former president Sakaki was exposed for her retaliation against a former provost last year. It was later reported that Sakaki had artwork in her home that was donated to Sonoma State; the art burned down along with her house during the Tubbs fire. This was a loss of an estimated $85,000. Around the same time there was a major budgeting scandal involving a committee without student representation outlining $5.5 million in budget cuts. Where was the chance for students to be part of the process? Maybe things would have been more clear if SSU had a student union at the time.

After asking “Why do you think SSU doesn’t have a student union?” Bryan Nunez, an electrical engineering major in his fourth year, claimed that he believes SSU lacks a student union since some students may not be aware of what one is. Nunez claimed that until recently, he had no idea what a student union was.

At SSU, there may be a stronger sense of community with a student union. Not only establishing connections with faculty but with students as well. As policy developments are put into place on campus, many things may get lost in translation. So why not create a hub that explains current events that affect students and allow them the chance to voice their concerns?

The STAR believes that a student union will be the beginning of something exciting for our on campus community: A committee with the goal of supporting students and being their voice in any issues on campus.