A lack of representation on the SSU campus

When entering Sonoma State either as a student or faculty member, one of the first promises the school assures is a place of acceptance no matter who you are as an individual. Although that assurance allows incoming students to feel safe and excited for their new journey, many feel that promise is brushed off as their time at SSU continues. 

There is a lack of representation in regards to diversity on the SSU campus. There are very few clubs and organizations led by minority groups such as people of color, women, those in the LGBTQ+ community, etc. Many students on campus are fighting for more prominent representation, but another step towards this is holding the school accountable for their promise of inclusivity as well as giving students resources to do the same. 

With SSU being predominantly female and the vast majority being white, we tend to celebrate achievements from these two groups the most. The support of these groups can sometimes feel performative. It is time the school emphasizes the existence of other minority groups.

Taneesha Porter, a student representative for AS said she feels like an outcast when it comes to SSU making her feel represented on campus. She feels the school could “promote diversity in every aspect, and actually do thinking to prevent discrimination and harassment. As well as own up to their mistakes instead of sweeping it under the rug.” 

In a newsletter put out on Jan. 23, 2023, Vice President of student affairs, Gerald Jones and Provost, Karen Moranski said, “Our staff in the Division of Student Affairs have been fervently planting those seeds, planning and developing robust programs and services that will help cultivate your sense of belonging and success at Sonoma State and beyond.” They continue to advertise a sense of belonging and reassurance in newsletters just like the one above when acts of discrimination happen locally or globally, but when will they implement these programs and “seeds” they speak of, prioritizing the safety and voices of their community? 

It has been noticed that the only organization led by all women and people of color are the AS student representatives. Consisting of three representatives, a records assistant, and a university affairs and special projects director, these five women play a very important role in associated students. Unfortunately, they have shared thoughts that their recognition has been overlooked. 

Madelyn Elena Williams, university affairs and special projects director and Khanh Dao, AS representative suggest students be open minded as well as show up to senate meetings and AS events. This will allow for more networking and recognition. 

Events across campus fall short when advertising to students. Especially the ones that would benefit and create change if students were to participate. This is not just a fault of the school or associated students but the students themselves. In the most recent AS elections there were a total of 990 student votes. As of Fall 2021, there were around seven thousand students enrolled at SSU. This turnout is one example showing the lack of engagement from students. 

“SSU has made me feel welcomed by encouraging me to participate on campus. Whether it’s speaking my mind, showing up to events, or being part of an activity. I have also involved myself with organizations,” said Dao.

SSU has been a place of support for many, but there is still a need for better engagement with students. Programs, opportunities, and devices that encourage those who may feel like they don’t belong to speak up and join more groups need to become a standard. This will allow for others, with similar thoughts, to feel comfortable doing the same. In order to see some sort of change, students need to feel encouraged to go out of their comfort zone and see what is happening around them.