GMC could do more to engage with students

STAR // Rosalee Padilla

The Green Music Center is one of the largest amenities on campus yet it is the least promoted. The GMC is well-known for its outdoor concerts and for hosting commencements. Additionally, it houses the music department and hosts musical concerts all year round. Despite being on campus, the GMC does not seem to be a part of student life. 

For the GMC, funding for programs comes from ticket sales and donations. Even though students are not directly responsible for funding the GMC, the volume of ticket sales determines how long the GMC remains open. 

After speaking with GMC Executive Director Jacob Yarrow. The STAR asked if the enrollment drop had an impact on ticket sales, and Yarrow responded with, “Enrollment decline does impact ticket sales as one might logically expect.” Since August 2021, ticket sales have increased according to Yarrow, and Sonoma County residents, including SSU students, purchase 75–80% of all tickets.

The STAR went around campus asking students what they thought about the GMC. The comments were the same: they rarely know what events are happening at the GMC due to a lack of marketing and presence on campus. Although the GMC is located on the SSU campus, students and the STAR believe it is more focused on Sonoma County than the students. 

Riley Bornstein, a fourth-year psychology major who sings in SSU’s concert choir, agrees that the GMC should market to students more to make them aware of the exciting events they have going on. Bornstein expressed their opinion by saying, “The Weil Hall caters more to Sonoma County because it is a larger venue, so it’s not like the choir uses it all the time.” Bornstein ends their statement by saying “As long as SSU students get priority on events that it is all good with them,” ending it with “that’s how it should be.” 

The GMC’s mission statement, according to their website, “is to present the most compelling artists of our time, to investigate ideas, and to provide access to diverse artistic experiences that educate, connect, and inspire Sonoma State University and neighboring North Bay communities.” If this statement were true then SSU students would feel more connected to the GMC. Students don’t feel connected to the GMC, and because there isn’t much marketing to students on campus, they are also unaware of the important events happening. 

Students learn about the GMC events primarily through word-of-mouth, campus organizations, or other groups on campus. One instance of this is the yearly “Lip Jam,” which is one of the primary student activities that take place at the GMC, yet they did not even advertise it. However, Panhellenic, which organized the event, did much of the advertising.  

The STAR believes that the GMC should arrange more events that students are more likely to attend. More concerts and possibly more outdoor activities are two examples. For example; increasing the number of movies played on the lawn for students. 

Victoria Lopez, third-year early childhood studies major, agrees that the GMC caters to an older demographic than students. Lopez wishes the GMC would inform students on campus so they can be made aware of upcoming events. This raises greater concerns regarding the anniversary and the fact that students are unaware of any major events that have occurred in the past ten years. There is so much potential to improve the GMC and enhance student life on campus.