Spooky season inbound: Sonoma County’s must-see pumpkin patches

exc-5da6699a22b43a42223eeaa1
exc-5da6699a22b43a42223eeaa1

Taylor Clark, Staff Writer:

After living in the area for a while and becoming a pumpkin patch connoisseur, it is safe to say that many residents of Sonoma County are tasked with deciding which pumpkin patch is best to choose among the assemblage of considerable options throughout the area. In search for a good Instagram picture? Want to find the trendiest pumpkins? Want to get lost in a corn maze? The pumpkin patches of Sonoma County check all the boxes.

To start off, the Santa Rosa Pumpkin Patch is the closest one to Sonoma State University, making it highly convenient for a night out for students. It has a multitude of amenities that appeal to families and teenagers alike. For example, there is a corn kernel pit for kids to rummage through; there is also a small but reasonable petting zoo with staples such as a pony (which very closely resembles that of Lil’ Sebastian from “Parks and Rec”) and little baby pigs. Aside from the pumpkins, many attendees here share another favorite aspect: the snack bar. From popcorn to candy to Dippin Dots at a fair price of $4, the snack bar features various types of treats to enjoy. 

SANTAROSAPP.jpg

The standout feature of this pumpkin patch, when compared to others, is that it boasts an incredibly intricate maze to get lost in. It features two different paths, one that takes twenty minutes and the other takes about an hour. 

Jack Christensen, Junior and History major at Sonoma State University, says, “the maze is so convoluted that they hand out maps to anyone participating because it is so easy to get lost in there.” Craig Zschach, Junior and Biology major at Sonoma State, adds, “it was very fun and long but we finished faster than we expected.”

The Petaluma Pumpkin Patch is slightly further away from campus but can be found right off the freeway. It also features amenities such as a corn maze and corn kernel pit. However, it features a straw mountain with 500 straw bales for children to climb over. The Petaluma Pumpkin Patch is by far the most instagrammable spot for a number of reasons; the main being that the patch itself is huge, making it easy to find lots of different locations and angles for pictures. They are also able to produce a surplus of pumpkins. One would be able to find the perfect classic orange pumpkin to a variety of unique gourds with warts all over them. 

McClelland’s Dairy is open all year long and is primarily a dairy farm. However, during the Autumn months they also showcase a pumpkin patch. Notably, this patch is geared more toward families. It also happens to be the furthest from campus and the most expensive option. However, it does have very unique activities that separates it from other patches and makes it worthwhile.

The patch is all organic which results in a myriad of organic pumpkin pies, organic drinks– organic everything–for guests to enjoy. It also boasts a farm filled with animals of big enough size that workers are able to provide farm tours. People can even learn how to milk a cow and take home their own organic milk. 

While this is the only patch out of the three that contains a maze built from hay, this patch also features a haunted house and a “jumpyland” filled with a multitude of bouncy houses for the kids. Often found to be a favorite addition, a pumpkin blaster is also seen at this pumpkin patch: a blaster loaded with six pumpkins that one can aim at a board to “get rid of some steam.”

All of these patches offer something special, to the point where one really can not go wrong in making the decision nevertheless. While some of them are simply geared toward different age groups, it is comforting to know that each atmosphere suits all different types of attendees needs and desires. So, venture down to any of these patches and take an Instagram picture of a trendy pumpkin, accentuated by a fall sunset, while getting lost in a maze!