SSU welcomes Seawovles back on campus with REXPO

exc-6398c49326a12a78094e3470
exc-6398c49326a12a78094e3470

Sonoma State is back on campus with the popular event, REXPO. Thursday Aug. 25,  from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. outside of the rec center, a variety of different clubs came out to spread information on the activities and events they hold on campus for incoming students who may not be aware. 

With nice weather and many students walking around campus, it was the perfect opportunity to put on this event. Students in attendance received a punch card, and each club would stamp or place a sticker on the card. The first 100 people to fill up the punch card received a free burrito! There was also a wheel to spin where students could win a variety of shirts, water bottles, backpacks and more.

The excitement for this event was very high. Senior and English major, Kearstyn Miller, said, “I saw Seawolf Living post an instagram story about REXPO giving away free burritos, and as a poor college student I enjoy that I can come to these events and get a free meal.” 

This event was a great way for students to interact with one another, as well as meet the coordinators of each club to see which they might be interested in joining. The rate of club sign-ups seemed to spark as many students were signing up for different clubs, as well as interacting with the tables.

Senior and Business major Payton Stanberry opened up on the clubs that they felt most connected with, “I’m most interested in joining Club Baseball because I feel that women are capable of doing anything, and I feel like I could set the tone for a lot of women out there.” This was powerful to hear, because most students don’t feel comfortable stepping outside of their comfort zone. The baseball club was very inclusive and allowed all genders to participate in joining as well as compete with the team.

After speaking with students, Assistant Advisor of Intramural sports, Tabitha Whitefield had some great advice about what her club offers, “Intramural sports gives people the opportunity to play the sports they love without a lot of pressure.” She spoke in a very comforting manner to those who may not have known exactly what they wanted to do, but wanted to put their foot in the door. Intramural sports are a great way to figure out that desire while getting a taste of all options.

If you’re interested in joining a club but missed the REXPO event, check out the Seawolf Living ‘Events’ page that holds all upcoming events and club fairs. An upcoming event being held in the Seawolf Plaza is yet another Club Fair and Hot Dog Giveaway Day. This event will take place on Sept. 7 from 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. 

Lead Rec Center coordinator Reed Mathieson helps students win prizes at REXPO.

Students gather outside of the Rec Center during REXPO.